what gpu for AMD setup

Wolfrider

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaning towards XFX HD 6850 in crossfireX and OC both to hd 6870, any suggestions?

http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Grafikkarte/XFX/HD6850/789582/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Grafikkarten&l2=PCIe-Karten+ATI%2FAMD&l3=Radeon+HD6000

One question, i read that the 6850 supports AMD HD3D, can I use red/blue like I did with my gts 250? I dont have the coin

to buy one of those 3D monitors...

I'm leaning towards XFX HD 6850 in crossfireX and OC both to hd 6870, any suggestions?

http://www.alternate.de/html/product/Grafikkarte/XFX/HD6850/789582/?tn=HARDWARE&l1=Grafikkarten&l2=PCIe-Karten+ATI%2FAMD&l3=Radeon+HD6000

One question, i read that the 6850 supports AMD HD3D, can I use red/blue like I did with my gts 250? I dont have the coin

to buy one of those 3D monitors...

I am pretty sure that AMD HD3D is the stereoscopic 3D which requires a 3D monitor and shutter glasses to run (like 3D TV). Those red/blue 3D systems are a thing of the past now days. Here is a link showing how it works :)

I would stick with the X4 965 or 970 because you can get 4+GHz out of either but maybe not the X6. The quad will be faster. I just got my second (!) Gigabyte 6850 card and the Crossfire performance is deadly.

The cards throw a lot of heat when oc'd but with extra fans blowing on the heatpipes I can get 840/1140 out of them which is plenty. Crysis WARHEAD is a new experience.

The Gigabyte 6850's have the best cooling setup as far as I'm concerned but I don't see how you could get the 6870 speed from them. The adjustments only go to 850/1200 and mine locked up pretty quickly at that speed.

Edited by wowdoggy954

I would stick with the X4 965 or 970 because you can get 4+GHz out of either but maybe not the X6. The quad will be faster.

Lol the X6 you can easily get 4ghz and not even need unlocked multipliers . I got the 1055t to 4ghz and my 1090t to 4.2ghz .

You show me where the quad is faster ... Because the X6's get to the same clocks and have an extra 2 cores

Lol the X6 you can easily get 4ghz and not even need unlocked multipliers . I got the 1055t to 4ghz and my 1090t to 4.2ghz .

You show me where the quad is faster ... Because the X6's get to the same clocks and have an extra 2 cores

:withstupid: :withstupid:

Plus if one was going to get a 9x5 phenom, it should be the 955. otherwise they wasted their money :teehee:

Sorry, I didn't mean anything bad about the X6 lol. I sure get a lot of lol's to my comments. What a laugh.

I figured out how to get my 6850 Crossfire a bit past 6870 stock clocks - 950/1100 right now. I am SO glad I went with the Gigabyte 6850's!

For sure I think the 6870's are not worth the extra $$$.

I've read that some 6850 can be flashed to 6870's. Does this include the xfx black edition?

you're thinking of the 6950's, and its only the reference pcb ones. I dont know if xfx does any pcb changes when they make a black edition, or just up the core clock. If its just the clock, the black edition of the 6950 could be flashed. I checked on that site, the 6950 xxx edition is cheaper than the regular one, so that's an option