Opinions on new SSD

Nyt

The OCZ drive also has trim which seems like a very useful feature.

Im sure the OCZ drive cant be that bad. I'll take my chances with it since its way faster than other drives in its price range

Yes, pretty much all SSD's have TRIM, but they can't be in RAID to have TRIM working, though on some SSD's, there's still some form of garbage collection. Not a bad choice.

Also, here's some SSD/HDD benchmarks I was trying to get going, but not many people contributed. Still, you can see that as far as sequential read/writes are concerned, RAID 0 and RAID 10 are pretty fast with HDD's, but they don't give you the .1ms response times. You can at least see how fast the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB's and the Corsair P128 have held up over time. The writes have gotten worse, but the reads are still great.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, pretty much all SSD's have TRIM, but they can't be in RAID to have TRIM working, though on some SSD's, there's still some form of garbage collection. Not a bad choice.

Also, here's some SSD/HDD benchmarks I was trying to get going, but not many people contributed. Still, you can see that as far as sequential read/writes are concerned, RAID 0 and RAID 10 are pretty fast with HDD's, but they don't give you the .1ms response times. You can at least see how fast the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB's and the Corsair P128 have held up over time. The writes have gotten worse, but the reads are still great.

Raid0 is fairly good but I have no idea how I would even set it up .

An SSD like the OCZ Vertex 2 120gb just seems faster and easier to set up

Hey guys,

I need your opinions on a new SSD that I want to get . Its going to be a OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD .

After reaching this place of the post I would recommend a 256 gb. My OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD has 60 gb free. But considering new games are ~8 gb each......?

I never install games on my SSD. There's no point in fast response times for games, as most of the speed is sequential read-based (loading times). Your operating system and things like Microsoft Office and any programming/video editing programs benefit more from faster response times as opposed to just sequential reads. No need in getting more than a 64GB SSD if you have HDD's in RAID 0 or RAID 10.

What is with these manufacturers creating 40, or 60 gb drives? What are we running dos? Look at the size of the current HDD compared to SSD. I know memory is expensive, but what is the use of these paltry size drives? It hurts me when they develop products in this fashion.

I never install games on my SSD. There's no point in fast response times for games, as most of the speed is sequential read-based (loading times). Your operating system and things like Microsoft Office and any programming/video editing programs benefit more from faster response times as opposed to just sequential reads. No need in getting more than a 64GB SSD if you have HDD's in RAID 0 or RAID 10.

I tend to be on the losing side of fps so when the last checkpoint reloads I am grateful.

I got this exact SSD a few days ago and I'm lovin' it. The capacity is good as well, my OS fits in easily along with Steam and a couple games, but there's still plenty room if I'll need it for anything in future. As for your rig, it looks 10x better than mine :lol: A SSD is definitely what you need!

On black friday and recently boxing day I seen the thing go down to 180cdn gotta love that too.

Raid0 is fairly good but I have no idea how I would even set it up .

An SSD like the OCZ Vertex 2 120gb just seems faster and easier to set up

RAID0 is lightning fast with SSD's! A single SSD isn't going to match the speed of 2 in RAID0. Setting it up is very easy now, especially since most newer mobo's have the RAID controller built in ;) You just go into BIOS and it's pretty self-explanitory from there. If you get stuck, you know a bunch of OCCers who can help you! 120GB seems like it is big enough for an OS, games, and other progs. But, it really all depends on the size of your Steam folder, or how many games you want to install! I know I have 2 80GB Intel's in RAID0 and I can't have all of my Steam games installed at the same time. There are ways to move the games over to you storage drive like you said, after your done with them. But, you have to use a prog to do that when it comes to Steam games. You can't just copy and paste them over and expect them to still play!

RAID0 is lightning fast with SSD's! A single SSD isn't going to match the speed of 2 in RAID0. Setting it up is very easy now, especially since most newer mobo's have the RAID controller built in ;) You just go into BIOS and it's pretty self-explanitory from there. If you get stuck, you know a bunch of OCCers who can help you! 120GB seems like it is big enough for an OS, games, and other progs. But, it really all depends on the size of your Steam folder, or how many games you want to install! I know I have 2 80GB Intel's in RAID0 and I can't have all of my Steam games installed at the same time. There are ways to move the games over to you storage drive like you said, after your done with them. But, you have to use a prog to do that when it comes to Steam games. You can't just copy and paste them over and expect them to still play!

You don't get TRIM in RAID with SSD's.