Opinions on new SSD

Nyt

Hey guys,

I need your opinions on a new SSD that I want to get . Its going to be a OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD .

OCC did a review on it here

What do you guys think ? The drive is mainly going to be for my OS and my new games .

As I finish playing games I will move them over to my Western Digital Caviar Black Sata 6Gbps 1tb drive for storage and keep the SSD clutter free

So my rig will be the following :

AMD Phenom II X6 1090t at 4.2ghz on Corsair H70 Push/Pull

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula

Corsair Dominator GT 2000mhz 4x2gb RAM

ASUS GTX580

Corsair AX1200

OCZ Vertex 2 120gb SSD for OS

Western Digital Caviar Black Sata 6gbps 1Tb for storage

Seagate Barracuda 500gb for extra storage

Cooler Master HAF932 with 15 case fans

Samsung P2450 1080p

Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound

What do you guys think of the SSD and of my Rig ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this exact SSD a few days ago and I'm lovin' it. The capacity is good as well, my OS fits in easily along with Steam and a couple games, but there's still plenty room if I'll need it for anything in future. As for your rig, it looks 10x better than mine :lol: A SSD is definitely what you need!

I went and got 2x OCZ 60GB Vertex 2s as they where a little cheaper then the 120 and l put them in raid 0 so l get the space and faster read/write speeds then just 1 drive. l use it for my OS,Apps, and a few steam games.

Been running them for 4 months and not a hiccup at all.

I bought this same exact drive a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier with my purchase. It is just what I needed to make my computer feel snappy like it should. It gives me a 7.6 WEI and transfer rates are as advertised. It is still running like a champ and the 2.5" form factor is nice because I can mount it anywhere I want in my case. The fact that the sandforce drives have write speeds almost equal to their read speeds is quite nice as well.

It looks good, and OCZ products are always priced competitively... I just always read buyer reviews too much and see people having longevity issues with OCZ SSD's. I'd personally stick with a different brand, though others here have stated they had no problems, so I'd say go for it!

It looks good, and OCZ products are always priced competitively... I just always read buyer reviews too much and see people having longevity issues with OCZ SSD's. I'd personally stick with a different brand, though others here have stated they had no problems, so I'd say go for it!

I also read other more expensive SSD owner reviews and all have there share of problems even the expensive Corsair Force 120gb SSD

I dont know now what to get

I read the same things about Corsair Force SSD's, too.

If you can, get the Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), before it sold out, it was as low as $199.99.

Both my Corsair P128's have been doing well, and also my Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB's and my Intel X25-M 160GB and my gf's Kingston SSDnow V-series 64GB and my gf's parent's Super Talent 64GB UltraDrive GX was really good. Still, there's a fair share of problems with any SSD (some more than others), just hope you don't get a bad one. Don't go with Kingston, they're priced right, but not very fast. I just got it for my gf because of the response times of SSD's.

I can get the Corsair P128 and its only $10 more than the OCZ drive where I am

I can also get the Mushkin 120GB Callisto Deluxe SATA II 2.5" SSD not the enhanced one but I've never had a Mushkin product and theres not many known mushkin places to RMA

How have your experiences with the P128 ssd been Capi ?

I can get the Corsair P128 and its only $10 more than the OCZ drive where I am

I can also get the Mushkin 120GB Callisto Deluxe SATA II 2.5" SSD not the enhanced one but I've never had a Mushkin product and theres not many known mushkin places to RMA

How have your experiences with the P128 ssd been Capi ?

The Corsair P128 has been really reliable (I had two, but only have one now, and two friends have one each). Its speeds hold a lot better than the Crucial RealSSD C300 over time, but it isn't super fast to begin with. It's great for laptops because of the low power consumption at load as well as at idle (though that doesn't mean much as power consumption with any SSD is pretty low).

It might be pricey to RMA a Mushkin product from South Africa, true. I'm sure the enhanced version is also a lot faster and probably more reliable. I'd go with any SSD which makes RMA'ing easier.

The Corsair P128 has been really reliable (I had two, but only have one now, and two friends have one each). Its speeds hold a lot better than the Crucial RealSSD C300 over time, but it isn't super fast to begin with. It's great for laptops because of the low power consumption at load as well as at idle.

It might be pricey to RMA a Mushkin product from South Africa, true. I'm sure the enhanced version is also a lot faster and probably more reliable. I'd go with any SSD which makes RMA'ing easier.

The OCZ drive also has trim which seems like a very useful feature.

Im sure the OCZ drive cant be that bad. I'll take my chances with it since its way faster than other drives in its price range