3dMark 11

Water_Hazard

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant imagine you will be upgrading from your 970 and 3x 580's any time soon. Id say its a safe investment to cool them properly!

Maybe he should....

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/05/03/nvidia_3way_sli_amd_trifire_redux/2

1304409842JEKIDRyqse_2_2.gif

Looks to be a VERY heavy CPU bottleneck on a few games at least.

Edited by krazypoloc

Maybe he should....

http://www.hardocp.c...trifire_redux/2

Looks to be a VERY heavy CPU bottleneck on a few games at least.

yes, but that is a 920 at 3.6ghz while I am running a 970 at 4.2ghz. That's 2c/4t more and 600mhz faster.. I would hope that would eliminate the bottleneck.. I think me and Nyt might have to do a bottleneck comparison thread.

I think me and Nyt might have to do a bottleneck comparison thread.

I'd be up for that though it might take some time since I've got two duels to finish already .

And Im selling my ASUS DCII GTX580 because it gets too hot in SLI because it vents in-case . But I'll get a EVGA GTX580 Superclocked and then I'll get even higher clocks.

I'd be up for that though it might take some time since I've got two duels to finish already .

And Im selling my ASUS DCII GTX580 because it gets too hot in SLI because it vents in-case . But I'll get a EVGA GTX580 Superclocked and then I'll get even higher clocks.

yeah, I have a lot going on right now too, but when I get a chance I'll set up a new thread.

Do you put the asus in the top slot? I have mine in the bottom slot and it stays super cool. Even in 3way sli the asus card never tops 75c at 85% fan speed at 1.2v

Do you put the asus in the top slot? I have mine in the bottom slot and it stays super cool. Even in 3way sli the asus card never tops 75c at 85% fan speed at 1.2v

Mines in the top slot since theres no space in my case to have it in the bottom slot :( Maybe I'll go water soon

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1048793

P12623

gpus arnt scoring as high as they should according to 3d, im guessing because they are both running in x8, not 16? (i have the p67a-ud7 but my revodrive x2 brings them back to x8)

So thats 2 x 6990 in CF? Yea, something isn't working right, that is a low score! My 3 x 6970 TriFire scored P13646. I know with dual GPU cards the slot speed is more important because of the added bandwidth a dual card needs! But, wow, if it is your x8 that is holding you back, that is a serious slot speed handicap!

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1048793

P12623

gpus arnt scoring as high as they should according to 3d, im guessing because they are both running in x8, not 16? (i have the p67a-ud7 but my revodrive x2 brings them back to x8)

I bet its because your CPU is too slow(according the 3dmark info thing, your only running at stock 3.4Ghz, i would assume turboboost knocks you up to 3.8Ghz though still) for 2x 6990's. Look your CPU score is BARELY over 10k, my i7-930 is able to get over 10.5k CPU scores. And alot of i7-2600k's are breaking 12k, and the higher overclocks like 4.5Ghz+ are breaking 13k.

Look at the SS below.

post-73007-13044716966339_thumb.png

Your Graphics score is amazing, almost 17k, your CPU score is good, but not good for a sandy bridge. But your combined score?? Its abysmally bad... IMO this is due to the fact that, when just your GPU's are being stress the CPU is working very hard to process all the required data for all 4 of those GPU's, BUT it appears to handle it, maybe not to its full potential, but it handles it. When your CPU is being stressed, the GPU's do next to nothing, so no problem there... But when BOTH your your GPU's AND CPU are being stressed... Your CPU is just completely overwhelmed by the task, therefore not only does the CPU fail to do its required physics calculations, but it fails to process all the required GPU data in a timely fashion as well. Being that your combined score is lower than my i7-930 @ stock and my GTX570 @ stock, there is is the proof you need to truly see how bad a CPU bottleneck really is, a Very high scoring Graphics score, decent GPU score, and VERY bad combined score.

YOU SIR, have a VERY VERY bad CPU bottleneck. Overclock the bad boy i7... I would say as high as you can with safe temps. If you dont already have a Aftermarket cooler, id HIGHLY suggest the best air cooler on the market, the Noctua NH-D14. With that cooler a 4.5Ghz+ 24/7 oc should be do able with safe temps. Overclock your CPU all to holy hell, then run 3DMark11 again, i think you will find you have very different results.