Switching Mobos

Okay, some of you probably saw the thread about my dad's comp and its gateway ms-6330 v2.1 board. Well, the 2000+ came in the other day and sure enough, the mobo refuses to boot with it no matter what. So anyway, I ordered a new mobo for him, the Biostar M7VIF. (I know it's not a super good mobo...I got it because it was 35 bucks including shipping, and uses the kt333 chipset so I can switch his mobo and not have to reinstall windows) Anyway, I was wondering what steps I should take to make sure the mobo switch goes okay. Should I go into the device manager and remove all motherboard components, then switch them? Or use the uninstall feature from the via 4-in-1 drivers? Any advice would be nice...I don't know the best way to do this because I always just wipe the drive when I change mobos.

As always with a new mobo, I'm going to suggest reinstalling Windows. If thats not an option, you could remove every device in the Device Manager and hope for the best. Backup important files first just incase you do have to format/reinstall.

yes.. as said above.. you cannot just move windows over.. their are going to be new devices on this mobo.. and windows will just take a dump when it goes to start with out a reinstall.. so back up ur files first.. then try if u want to..

but i am very positive it wont work..

Yeah, I know that reinstalling windows is the best way. But it's not my comp, it's my dad's, and he doesn't want to do that. (though I guess he may have no choice, right?) Anyway, I've heard that the switch should work because both mobos use Via chipsets, and all via chipsets use the same drivers. I guess I'll just hope for the best.

You think maybe it would be possible to uninstall all of the previous drivers then once youve switched the mobos, just do a windows repair installation?

I have to do this same procedure pretty soon. I think im gonna try that.

if you have to reformat hoook his harddrive up to you comp and copy over all the files he wants to save or if you got a hub you can do it that way too

We're on a home network so I can just grab anything off of his comp over the network.

Andrusk: Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I think if I wiped ALL drivers (video/sound drivers included) off the system, then switched mobos, it shouldn't have too much to get mad over. I've actually had a successful switch of mobos under win xp before...and the cool thing is they were different chipset makes too. (sis 735 to nvidia nforce2) Then I overclocked too far once and trashed the installation...oh well.