GTX 580!

Krieg1337

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its less than a GTX 480 and it beats an HD 5970...

And OC temps were 86 degrees on load...

Not sure what review you are seeing, but on pg 25 it clearly shows during normal and peak power usage, the HD 5970 (dual GPU and all) using less power and running cooler as shown on pg 30 by the Voltage Tuning Graph, when OCing!

Yea it beats the 480, but that's not hard! Still, just too much power and heat to deal with, when you can get a 5970 and still win in almost every catagory at higher res! The 5970's have dropped so much in price now, that for less heat and power you get better performance!

Edited by SpeedwayNative

...and it beats an HD 5970...

it does? i read the entire review including the comparisons and that darned 5970 was definitely oftentimes the leader (as much as it pains me to say so)...

Id just like to pop on and point something out, in 2 of the games tested, Crossfire/SLI scaling (or something in addition to that) were completely broken, and the 5970 and GTX295 somehow ended up on the bottom of the list. So the 5970's scores in those graphs of relative this to that should be taken with a pinch of salt ;)

Edit: to be honest due to this alot of those relative graphs and charts at the end are pretty much invalidated as it would have screwed off the results completely. :erm:

Edited by SenitaL

I'll still wait to see what the 6970 brings to the table AND for official reviews.

By the way, about those "big games on the list," I know Metro 2033 and Crysis are both part of TWIMTBP and can't find for sure if BF:BC2 is or not, so I'll hold off on weighting those comparisons much. That's just me, but I think you understand my point. If they've got optimizations for nVidia cards, then how can we know it's not the optimizations instead of the cards making the difference. My HD5770 is a more powerful card than my GTS 250, yet the 250 folds better because of better support for it in the code.

The 580 also beats the 5970 in HAWX too, which isn't listed as TWIMTBP, but then everything was running that at or above 60 FPS (I'm counting that 59.9 as 60) so the better performance won't be noticed (at the test settings).

Let me see reviews, temps, and lengths before I buy anything (limited to 10.6in cards in my case, so any thought put to this may be pointless anyway).

Broken NDA! Just cause you slap preliminary on it doesn't mean you didn't break the NDA. Never ceases to amaze me

Yep...TechPowerUp just brought a world of hurt from nVidia on themselves.

EDIT: I think the site just went down. :P

Edited by Waco