AMD North Bridges

So I've been having a lot of problems with my current build (E8400, Asus P5N-D, Corsair XMS2 4GB, Kingwin 1000w Modular Supply, Asus 5850 2Gb)

Anyhow, I'm planning on making the switch over to AMD processors, seeing as I'm low on cash flow and they're considerably cheaper than Intel. I'm just in a little over my head with the whole switch, as I've done very little research prior to today about AMD processors and their corresponding components.

I'm planning on getting a Phenom II X4 965 BE. That much I know. If anyone has the time, knowledge, or love and affection to spare, I'd really love to know which motherboard/North Bridge technology would best suit my gaming needs. I'm an avid overclocker, so accessibility is key. I'd also prefer to avoid Asus, if at all possible, seeing as they've done nothing but inconvenience me with their terrible customer service/tech support. I can't count on all the fingers and toes of the three other guys I live with how many days I've been left computer-less thanks to them.

But I digress, lend me your knowledge, oh wise ones.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have 4 AM3 motherboards, two are for sale: http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=178502&st=0

Asus makes some quality boards for LGA 1366 and AM3.

MSI if you like customer service.

ASRock's pretty solid.

Gigabyte's the only board that's died on me.

nForce 700/900 are good if you want to SLI

AMD are good if you want Crossfire and SATA6/USB3

All are pretty good overclocking boards.

@IVIYTHOS my system spontaneously hangs. I've replaced my psu, I've run memtest for hours on end, I've swapped processors with my roommate, I've RMA'd both my video card (got upgraded to a 5850 from a 4870, . ya!) and my motherboard. I've adjusted voltages. I've underclocked, I've overclocked. It happens both under stress and at idle. It's incredibly frustrating.

@ k1e1v1i1n I've spent a total of 74 days without a computer due to Asus' terrible RMA process. It was downright grueling. I've vowed to never waste my money and time on an Asus product ever again. Both of the Asus products I've owned have led to the most frustrating 74 days of my life, not to mention the incredible dry spell of money it caused, seeing as how graphic design is my sole source of income.

I want to contain the price of the mobo to under $150.

I've been looking at both ASRock and Gigabyte 870's and the ASRock 890fx. I'm just interested in figuring out which would be best for a potential crossfire buld in the future, but to be honest my real goal is simply to have a computer I can run without fear of losing all of my work whenever the hell it feels like hanging.

Heyo, I'd highly recommend an MSI 890FXA-GD70, or a 790FX-GD70, i don't much like ASrock boards, i've already had 3 that went on the fritz and their just a sub division of ASUS (or however you call it :P )

Edited by SenitaL

I just realized you were running an nvidia chipset, there's your problem :lol:

I'd RMA it at the very least, but you could probably pick up a p45 for fairly cheap.

No use upgrading when you could just get a better chipset.

You know I haven't heard any bad things about ASRock, but I do believe they are owned by Asus so you would probably have the same issues if needing an RMA.

Pegatron Technologies was the manufacturing arm of Asustek. In 2002 Asrock was brought into existence by Asustek to compete in the entry level market leaving the Asus brand for mainstream and enthusiasts. This year Pegatron was spun off as a separate company taking the Asrock brand with it. Pegatron now manufactures components for Asustek on a contract basis. Although Asustek does own stock in Pegatron Asrock is an independent subsidiary of Pegatron competing with the Asus brand just as any other manufacturer does. Asus has no influence on the day-to-day operations of Asrock .

I've had two ASRock X58 boards and they were pretty awesome. One did die on me after about 8 months, but the RMA process was painless and I had a replacement within 14 days. ASRock customer service/support isn't anything like Asus - it's 100 times better (at least the one time I had to deal with it).

I just realized you were running an nvidia chipset, there's your problem :lol:

I'd RMA it at the very least, but you could probably pick up a p45 for fairly cheap.

No use upgrading when you could just get a better chipset.

He'd probably have to upgrade to DDR3 if he did that - good DDR2 boards are getting pretty rare these days.

EDIT: After looking at Newegg there are a few decent P45 boards with DDR2 support for ~$100.

Edited by Waco