Worth messing with?

Well thanks to you guys and a friend of mine, I have found out that my computer can be upgraded. I have a dell dimension e510 and the motherboard is not that good. Is it even worth messing with the proccessor and getting a new 775 socket processor? I am not much of a hardcore gamer all i play is counter-strike, aion, and a little crysis. Right now my processor is a pentium 4 3.0ghz. Ive got 4gbs of ram(1gb donated to video card) and a 1gb gt 220. For all you people that dont know much about the dell dimension, it only has 1 fan and thats on the front of the case, and theres only 1 spot on the mobo for a fan spot. If you could find me some nice mods i could do on the case if i upgrade that would be great.... But really, is it worth upgrading?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could probably spend 30 bucks and get a decent celeron (if it's compatible, check the manufacturer's website.)

I wouldn't though, it's probably worth about a hundred bucks on ebay, which would go towards a new build of course.

I'd say it's not worth it.

Processor wise, to the best of my knowledge, the most recent processor that your motherboard will support is a Pentium D (which weren't the greatest processors to be honest). You might see some marginal gains in multi tasking, but for most applications you wont see any significant gain over your P4. Crysis is the only game you listed that benefits from additional cores, but even taking that into account, I doubt you notice much of a difference moving from P4 to Pentium D. If your board supported a Core 2, then there might be a point to upgrading the processor... but it doesn't.

Assuming you are running a 32bit Operating System, you have your ram maxed out, so no use upgrading there (plus, I believe 4GB is the most that board supports anyway).

Your Motherboard uses PCIe, so you COULD upgrade that and MAYBE see some gains, but pretty much anything you drop in there will be bottlenecked by your processor pretty severely. And then there's the heat issue with the poor air flow in your case. Not worth it.

I'd just save up for a new build. It doesn't seem like you urgently need the upgrade, so no sense throwing money away as the price per performance gain here is terrible. You'd just be wasting money that could be put toward a completely new build (which would give you much more bang for your buck).

That's my advice anyway. Good luck whatever you decide.

I'd say it's not worth it.

Processor wise, to the best of my knowledge, the most recent processor that your motherboard will support is a Pentium D (which weren't the greatest processors to be honest). You might see some marginal gains in multi tasking, but for most applications you wont see any significant gain over your P4. Crysis is the only game you listed that benefits from additional cores, but even taking that into account, I doubt you notice much of a difference moving from P4 to Pentium D. If your board supported a Core 2, then there might be a point to upgrading the processor... but it doesn't.

Assuming you are running a 32bit Operating System, you have your ram maxed out, so no use upgrading there (plus, I believe 4GB is the most that board supports anyway).

Your Motherboard uses PCIe, so you COULD upgrade that and MAYBE see some gains, but pretty much anything you drop in there will be bottlenecked by your processor pretty severely. And then there's the heat issue with the poor air flow in your case. Not worth it.

I'd just save up for a new build. It doesn't seem like you urgently need the upgrade, so no sense throwing money away as the price per performance gain here is terrible. You'd just be wasting money that could be put toward a completely new build (which would give you much more bang for your buck).

That's my advice anyway. Good luck whatever you decide.

wait a second... i thought core 2 was 775 socket? and btw my gpu and ram is fairly new.

wait a second... i thought core 2 was 775 socket? and btw my gpu and ram is fairly new.

Core 2 is 775, but your motherboard still doesn't support it. The Dell E510 supports Pentium 4 5xx/6xx and Pentium D. No Core 2 support. You have to remember, it was released before Core 2 was even announced. For reference, many boards that supported Core 2 at launch only supported processors up to the Q6700/E6700, and nothing beyond (even though they were still Socket 775 Core 2 processors). They just weren't build to support the later processors.

Also, I never said your ram and graphics card were old (though to be fair, DDR2 533 is the fastest ram supported by your motherboard, so it's not exactly cutting edge... not that it makes a HUGE practical difference), I simply went over upgrade options. I wasn't trying to insult your set up or anything. I was just trying to make the point that any upgrades that you would do to this computer probably wouldn't be worth it performance wise, and that you would be better off putting that money toward a new build in the future, especially since it doesn't seem like you urgently need a performance boost. :)

Core 2 is 775, but your motherboard still doesn't support it. The Dell E510 supports Pentium 4 5xx/6xx and Pentium D. No Core 2 support. You have to remember, it was released before Core 2 was even announced. For reference, many boards that supported Core 2 at launch only supported processors up to the Q6700/E6700, and nothing beyond (even though they were still Socket 775 Core 2 processors). They just weren't build to support the later processors.

Also, I never said your ram and graphics card were old (though to be fair, DDR2 533 is the fastest ram supported by your motherboard, so it's not exactly cutting edge... not that it makes a HUGE practical difference), I simply went over upgrade options. I wasn't trying to insult your set up or anything. I was just trying to make the point that any upgrades that you would do to this computer probably wouldn't be worth it performance wise, and that you would be better off putting that money toward a new build in the future, especially since it doesn't seem like you urgently need a performance boost. :)

Crucial.com says he is capable of running 800mhz, maybe he needs bios update??

Crucial.com says he is capable of running 800mhz, maybe he needs bios update??

It's possible that it's capable of running 800mhz ram, but Dell only lists 400 and 533. Then again, it doesn't list the Pentium D as a supported processor either, but that hasn't stopped people from installing and using them without issue. Ah Dell. I hate you so much lol.

Either way, the performance jump from DDR2 533 to DDR2 800 isn't much, and in most cases isn't even perceptible. If he were OCing, then there would be a point... but that's probably not going to happen on that Dell board :no:

It's possible that it's capable of running 800mhz ram, but Dell only lists 400 and 533. Then again, it doesn't list the Pentium D as a supported processor either, but that hasn't stopped people from installing and using them without issue. Ah Dell. I hate you so much lol.

Either way, the performance jump from DDR2 533 to DDR2 800 isn't much, and in most cases isn't even perceptible. If he were OCing, then there would be a point... but that's probably not going to happen on that Dell board :no:

naturally, I was just saying since he's running 667mhz sticks now so maybe he could update his bios to get them up to their rated speed from 533mhz or else he wasted the extra money on em :-/

naturally, I was just saying since he's running 667mhz sticks now so maybe he could update his bios to get them up to their rated speed from 533mhz or else he wasted the extra money on em :-/

I didn't notice he was running 667 (I only read his post, I didn't go to his profile :whistling: ), I assumed it was 533. I guess it depends. If his ram is being clocked down to 533, then it's likely that Crucial just has the wrong info... but updating is still definitely worth a shot. If it's already running at 667, then Dell had the wrong info and there's no need to flash the bios (you know, beyond the normal reasons for doing so).

So yeah, depends on what speed his ram is actually running at :dunno: