Which video card?

Water_Hazard

My brother is considering upgrading his monitor to a 1920x1080 monitor. He said that he may go with the asus 23" 120hz monitor. I was going to get him a gtx 460 if he went with a normal 1920x1080 but now I am wondering if it will be enough for 3d gaming.

So my question is would a gtx 460 overclocked be enough to play modern games in 1920x1080 even in 3d?

for starters i wouldnt buy a card soley to run games in 3d as just about every review ive seen say the same thing... nothing but massive problems... as for performance.. i doubt it..

i wouldnt expect a 5850 of mine to do that sorta res in 3d or in my case 3 screens and expect everything to run nicely... thats why i got 2...

if budget allows... get a better card...

I don't see this happening unless you run two of them in SLI.

Ok, well I wasn't trying to spend that much, so what if I just gave him my 295 from my P55 rig since I hardly ever use it? Anyone know of any problems with 3d vision and the 200 series cards. I know he wont have dx11 but its a hell of a lot better than the gts 250 he has now.

Ok, well I wasn't trying to spend that much, so what if I just gave him my 295 from my P55 rig since I hardly ever use it? Anyone know of any problems with 3d vision and the 200 series cards. I know he wont have dx11 but its a hell of a lot better than the gts 250 he has now.

A GTX 295 should be fine. This review has a pretty good handle on the performance hit. It essentially concludes that you will take a 50% performance hit when using 3d depending on the AA/AF settings and resolution etc. (although they were using a lower end card.)

The 460 would be OK as well depending on the game. You might have to drop some of the eye candy settings and maybe the resolution a bit to get playable frame rates. They overclock well so that would help a bit.

the 295 is better than an overclocked 460 1GB so do that (or give it to me and he can have my 4870x2 :P )

To test performance, you could try running dual monitors in games (yes, practically this is a terrible idea since the crosshair will be right at your bezel). Since 3d displays are rendering two frames for every one frame, running dual monitors should give you a good approximation of what kind of performance you would get using a 3d vision setup.

the 295 is better than an overclocked 460 1GB so do that (or give it to me and he can have my 4870x2 :P )

Nice try :no:

To test performance, you could try running dual monitors in games (yes, practically this is a terrible idea since the crosshair will be right at your bezel). Since 3d displays are rendering two frames for every one frame, running dual monitors should give you a good approximation of what kind of performance you would get using a 3d vision setup.

I thought nvidia surround was limited to a 3 display minimum?

the 295 is a much better card last time i checked hahah definately give him that :)

:withstupid:

I personally pit my 4870x2 against my cousin's OC'd 460 and I still beat it (obviously not counting physx or DX11 titles). If the 460 won I would have taken it and gave her my card :P.

And since the 295>4870x2, it's definitely a better option if they don't mind having no dx11 (which I don't care about too much yet since even dx10 is still hit or miss)