Anyone trained in self defense?

Miek

your well above my weight class :lol:

I didn't think about that but yes we wouldn't match up well. I would just pull a Lesnar and just use my weight to lay on you then T-off. lol :P

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually met someone from the military once and got talking to them about their self defense tactics. He said: "I don't really have a good idea of what specifically I use. We're taught to use what works the fastest and most efficeintly."

I have studied martial arts from the time I could walk. They are great for exercise and from a sporting perspective, however your more common styles like Karate and TKD are nearly useless in real life situations. Krav Maga, BJJ, etc styles are much more effective as a real life self defense.

My instructor has been training for over 30 years, he ran a bodyguard company and now runs an armored car company. He's also a certified firearms instructor and has been one for 27 years. His son is a Gracie Jiu Jitsu certified instructor who's also a cop. They both believe in the self-defense that they're trained in with Tang Soo Do, and have both used both extensively. A lot of it is in the type of training you get. Most McDojos just teach the sportier aspects of the arts in hopes of raking in cash and popularity. Sometimes it's the hole in the wall places that have the best training. Krav Maga and BJJ have times when they come in handy, but they're not a cure-all. Honestly, if you really want the most effective self defense training, train in every art you can.

Sometimes it's the hole in the wall places that have the best training. Krav Maga and BJJ have times when they come in handy, but they're not a cure-all. Honestly, if you really want the most effective self defense training, train in every art you can.

:withstupid:

Any martial art can produce a fighter that is the pinnacle of self-defense, but it takes a good school and good teacher to do that. And every good teacher I've found is an advocate and learning from other styles.

Most McDojos just teach the sportier aspects of the arts in hopes of raking in cash and popularity.

McDojos :lol:

Sometimes it's the hole in the wall places that have the best training. Krav Maga and BJJ have times when they come in handy, but they're not a cure-all. Honestly, if you really want the most effective self defense training, train in every art you can.

That is kind of what I was trying to say in my post that you quoted. Show me an MMA fighter that only uses one style and I will show you an MMA fighter than doesn't win many if any MMA fights. lol

most proper one styles.. arent really one style.. as i was saying before.. i studied Muay thai for years.. but i know how to take it to the ground.. which then would be another style.. so really.. when u get into a paticular style.. i really starts to become mixed..

most MMA fights r mixed maybe some by choice, others because its just part of training.. i wouldnt say i know other styles intensely.. i just know that i can do alot more than just use my 8 limbs... if i go to the ground im more than prepared and i didnt need to go to another dojo to learn it..

Simply picked a good teacher.. who happens to be a 5th dan in kyokushin karate.. he also teaches, bbj, jujitso, boxing, kick boxing and muay thai... so in all.. i guess when we further ourselves into our chosen practise, we're really just learning how to incoporate what we've learnt with other styles to make ourselves more lethal..

• 2 weeks later...