Sign in to follow this  
Miek

Anyone trained in self defense?

Just a thought. Martial arts/self defense systems have always interested me. Personally, I think that everyone should have at least some kind of basic self defense training/knowledge just in case you ever have to use it. It could literally be a lifesaver! :thumbsup:

If you have self defense training, what style/rank do you hold? I know there are some people here that are in active service, so they would likely know some form of self defense. However, are there any others as well?

I hold a yellow belt in Taekwondo (I would have continued but I was only in it for 6 months before I had to drop it, move, and go to university). However, as of October 21, I will be engaging in Krav Maga classes because the studio is only a 10 minute drive from my apartment. That, and Krav Maga gets in to defense against weapons much sooner than Taekwondo does.

Edited by Miek

i am a self taught street fighter though not a bar room brawler i am a tactical type fighter

I have a black belt in preventing a cow from kicking over the bucket when being milked.

I have a blue belt in Judo... but it might not be the best fom defending yourself - though its quite fun and give's you a lot of hands on practice. Krav Maga is extremely good for self defense. If someone attacks you you're taught how to pretty much destroy them as fast as possible.

Edited by nikola19283

I was trained up to brown belt in karate. (actual karate)

But that was back when I was like 11.

Now I just have a shotgun, and carry a very sharp pocket knife wherever I go.

I'm a black belt in a unique style of Karate that was developed (and has become an official style) by my Head Sensi (and owner of the Dojo). Instead of Karate with the usual low kicks/punches this one has that as well as high kicks and includes defense/attacks while standing and on the ground.

Unforutanely I have been inactive for about a year so I'm a little rusty. I plan on returning in a few weeks once i get back in shape, at the moment I'm just working out at a local gym.

I am a Red Belt in Tae-Kwon-Do. Havent done it for about 2 years now. :( Moved around alot. Need to try find a new club to join around here.

Use to really enjoy it!

Weapons training - guns, knives though my favorite was double dagger training

Style: Chu Gar Tonglong (Chu Family Southern Mantis - "Southern" is implied, not direct translation)

Style: Chow Gar - fair amount

Style: WuShu

Style: Kenpo (when i was a kid)

Style: Hung Gar - very little

We don't go by ranks though we typically entered tournies as Black/Brown ...though I only own a red sash - just for looks (lion dance shows / presentations / tournies)

If I had started getting into Martial Arts sooner (well more seriously) I think there is a really good chance I would have gone into MMA. Martial Arts is definitely a passion of mine, but I also have to admit I been slacking on it lately. :blush:

edited out names

Edited by Fogel

I'm skilled in the ancient art of kickeminthenutsandrun. Honestly though, i did some taekwondo, judo, and hapkido when i was a kid, and they were fun. right now, i'm actually doing Kendo, but i doubt I'll ever be carrying a sword around on my hip to defend myself, that's what hand guns are for.

I have studied martial arts from the time I could walk. They are great for exercise and from a sporting perspective, however your more common styles like Karate and TKD are nearly useless in real life situations. Krav Maga, BJJ, etc styles are much more effective as a real life self defense.