Sign in to follow this  
Miek

Anyone trained in self defense?

I got my Golden Gloves when I was 23.

I have been training in Muay Thai since i was 14.

Hold a Brown Belt in BJJ and a Purple Belt in Aikido as well.

I have law enforcement training as well.

I do plan on getting my black belts sooner or later of course by the time I get around to that I will be to old to remember everything :lol:

I have a black belt in preventing a cow from kicking over the bucket when being milked.

i'm certain i have high ranking belts in avoiding dangerous situations and hyper-vigilance...

Green belt in Karate, Green in Judo too, Yellow in Tae-Kwon-Do, i haven't felt the need to progress further as none of them seem to suit me. I'm looking to get into Muay thai and Kendo. Anyone have any experience with these two arts? :)

Edit: LOL Bosco i just noticed you trained in Muay thai now :doh: tell me a little about it!

Edited by SenitaL

I do plan on getting my black belts sooner or later of course by the time I get around to that I will be to old to remember everything :lol:

Note to self: don't pick a fight with Bosco. cheers.gif

Edit: LOL Bosco i just noticed you trained in Muay thai now :doh: tell me a little about it!

It's a lot of fun and very fast paced. Depending on where you train some allow elbows and knees others do not. Go figure it's Muay Thai you figured it would be a given its not. You have to been in great shape to keep the pace up or willing to work at it. When you get good at it can be very devastating to your opponent. A lot of people do not expect knees or elbows to come flying at this face and body, and trust me you smoke some with a nice elbow they will be split open and seeing stars. Once you learn the basics you can practice and home and get fast and faster.

There is a lot of different styles of kicking boxing but Muay Thai is the one that you learn to do knees and elbows properly. It's a major aggressive martial art and everything you do is with deadly force, not of this fancy crap that some martial arts do, its a pure fight art. The only thing I have to say to people that want to take it just make sure that you have the temper to control it because once you get good you can be one scary person with it and I am not joking. Its taken me a long time to be mature with but if you are looking to defend yourself with it I recommend it as well as some ground fighting to back it up.

Note to self: don't pick a fight with Bosco. cheers.gif

:lol:

It's a lot of fun and very fast paced. Depending on where you train some allow elbows and knees others do not. Go figure it's Muay Thai you figured it would be a given its not. You have to been in great shape to keep the pace up or willing to work at it. When you get good at it can be very devastating to your opponent. A lot of people do not expect knees or elbows to come flying at this face and body, and trust me you smoke some with a nice elbow they will be split open and seeing stars. Once you learn the basics you can practice and home and get fast and faster.

There is a lot of different styles of kicking boxing but Muay Thai is the one that you learn to do knees and elbows properly. It's a major aggressive martial art and everything you do is with deadly force, not of this fancy crap that some martial arts do, its a pure fight art. The only thing I have to say to people that want to take it just make sure that you have the temper to control it because once you get good you can be one scary person with it and I am not joking. Its taken me a long time to be mature with but if you are looking to defend yourself with it I recommend it as well as some ground fighting to back it up.

:lol:

Many thanks Boss, thats initially what got me interested in Muay Thai a few years back, it seemed like a straight up fully functional art instead of fancy and in some cases pointless and overcomplicated forms of self defense. I have long arms and legs and train alot on DH bikes too, its both a gift and curse to be honest though as i have the speed and reach but lack in other areas :unsure: .. anyhow thanks again! :)

I just want to learn to kill people, hand to hand or with what ever is handy, as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have a gun, but its not practical nor safe to carry about in public. If any dirtbag attacked me or my friends or family, I would want/like to be able to exctract the ultimate price quickly and without remorse. I dont want to get hooked up with years of training and become "zen like" and go thru some ladder of belts and so on. If the military and or other govt agencies can train their special forces in this manner, in just a few weeks or months, then it should be practical for someone to teach me the same.

Krav Maga. It won't necessarily kill, but it is practical. It was designed specifically by people in a war-torn area without a lifetime to dedicate to learning a martial art.

Here's a demonstration:

I would love to get in an octagon with you dave. :)

I would love to get in an octagon with you dave. :)

your well above my weight class :lol:

your well above my weight class :lol:

oooo ouch :haha: hehe...that hurt !

Ive studied Taekwondo as a kid(7yo) and when i reached 16 i decided that it wasnt enough so i started kick boxing.. by 18 i was doing Muay Thai and started fighting in the ring... i stopped fighting in the ring when i was 25.. im 28 now.. i still train at home and i hope i never have to defend myself.. ever..

while i do agree that knowing how to defend urself is a good thing.. going as far as some of us have is quite dangerous... its one thing to know how to stop ur opponent.. its quite another to know how to literally disable ur opponent.. as i kid i knew i could get of trouble by a few punches and kicks to make them think twice.. but right now after so many years in the right.. its become instinct to cause alot of hurt and just break ....

ppl say this isnt good that or thats no good coz u wont use it in real life.. truth is.. u do any martial art.. and u will know how to get out of it.. no matter what style u do.. difference is, u might only know how to knock the guy out.. not how to break him to pieces.. someone mentioned Krav maga.. that wont simply hurt ur attacker.. u might accidently kill the person hahaha then ur a world of hurt.. and bjj?? yer i dunno about that style... ive only had a couple mates do it and man they fit as ... but couldnt ever beat me...

Thats also another thing u need to look out for.. some places might only teach u a few things here and there and not everything... alot of ppl think muay thai is all stand up.. i say bull crap to that.. ill take ya standing or on the ground.. wouldnt make a difference.. so choosing not only ur style but where u wanna learn it is also another thing thatll make what u learn that much better or worse...