i7 930 @ 4ghz

Hemidare

What is considered to high of temps for an i7 930 oc'd to 4ghz using 1.35 volts? I am currently running an noctua dh14 and at load on prime 95 my temps peak at 85 degrees on my hottest core and 77 degrees on my coolest core.

What do you think?

Edited by Hemidare

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the BIOS vcore so we're not confused. My old i7 d0 with the Noctua NH-D14 had 3.9 GHz at 1.3v with max temps at 75C during the hot summer days (cold days, maxes at 71C). If I bumped it up to 1.35v I could reach 4.0GHz with max temps at 80C on hot summer days. This is with HT on. What thermal compound are you using?

Use the BIOS vcore so we're not confused. My old i7 d0 with the Noctua NH-D14 had 3.9 GHz at 1.3v with max temps at 75C during the hot summer days (cold days, maxes at 71C). If I bumped it up to 1.35v I could reach 4.0GHz with max temps at 80C on hot summer days. This is with HT on. What thermal compound are you using?

Yeah i am just using what came with the nh-d14 but i have some arctic cooling mx3 maybe i should try that. Yeah i will write down my voltages after i reboot. I haven't been keeping up to date with the i7 OC'ing so all of the settings in the bios are really different from my 775 q6600. Trying to do some reading but not getting to far. I like to know what settings do, not just where to set them.

And yes i am familiar with oc'ing i come from the dfi expert era and have been a dfi fan boy for a long time. But i switched allegiance when i read some good reviews on this MSI Big Bang Xpower

Edited by Hemidare

Nah I know what you mean, I know my 775 and now I'm tryin to learn AM3 overclocking haha. I'm working on overclocking my cousin's x4 620, slowly getting comfy with it, but at first it was like a WHOLE different animal. I'm still working out the quirks with it.

You should easily get 4Ghz with 1.35V. Disable turbo and all power daving features/ Run LLC at level2 (Vdroop). Its ok to even go a lil above 80 under load. Everyday use will be decent temps.....

I use 1.38V to get 4.3GHz stable with my 930.....

Edited by Drdeath

Ok i need to do more research on all the extra settings in my bios. I think i will try my arctic cooling mx 3 and see if that makes a difference in temps. Thanks for the replies. Has anyone done a guide on all the settings in the x58 bios, just a general run down?

That QPI voltage is way too high, and it doesn't need to be. Depends on what your DRAM voltage is. DRAM voltage cannot excede 1.65v if the QPI voltage is more than .5v under the DRAM voltage. So if your DRAM voltage is 1.65v, it should be 1.15v and no less. Try bumping it down and see where your stability goes.

Hey, this guide REALLY REALLY REALLY helped me, Overclocking i7-930 Guide.

I didnt really follow the guide so much as figured out what each of the settings did and helped me fine tune my overclocks. That NH-D14 is actually better than my Megahalems in 90% of all benchmarks ive ever seen on it. And even when im at 4.2Ghz i never get more than 75 on the hottest core, You definitely need to change thermal paste/reseat that thing.