i7 930 @ 4ghz

Hemidare

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, this guide REALLY REALLY REALLY helped me, Overclocking i7-930 Guide.

I didnt really follow the guide so much as figured out what each of the settings did and helped me fine tune my overclocks. That NH-D14 is actually better than my Megahalems in 90% of all benchmarks ive ever seen on it. And even when im at 4.2Ghz i never get more than 75 on the hottest core, You definitely need to change thermal paste/reseat that thing.

What are you using for your thermal paste?

post-3457-12852957759826_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1285295788725_thumb.jpg

post-3457-12852957954639_thumb.jpg

post-3457-12852958009261_thumb.jpg

Ok guys i am getting frustrated i just want to hit 4ghz and i know that every processor is different. But i think this one can do it. What would you set the settings to in the screen shots? And why if it is not to much trouble.

This is the thermal paste i use, But holy crap man... your putting too much juice through that... that QPI is WAAAAAYYY too high.

Here is what i use for 4.0Ghz, you might need more vcore: 4.0Ghz -- 191(bclk)x21(multi) @ 1.27vcore, QPI = 1.3v, also try setting your CPU PLL to 1.88, its what i use for 4.0+, i dont know if its really needed for 4.0, but i couldn't get 4.2 without the PLL at 1.88, Also if you can set your IOH voltage to 1.2 as well as the ICH to 1.2, This seemed to stablize things for me. I dont understand your Mobo, but isnt Vdroop really bad? Im pretty sure you want to set that to low, or none, or whatever you can for that. Maybe High Vdroop is what you need, but trying something different never hurt.

This is the thermal paste i use, But holy crap man... your putting too much juice through that... that QPI is WAAAAAYYY too high.

Here is what i use for 4.0Ghz, you might need more vcore: 4.0Ghz -- 191(bclk)x21(multi) @ 1.27vcore, QPI = 1.3v, also try setting your CPU PLL to 1.88, its what i use for 4.0+, i dont know if its really needed for 4.0, but i couldn't get 4.2 without the PLL at 1.88, Also if you can set your IOH voltage to 1.2 as well as the ICH to 1.2, This seemed to stablize things for me. I dont understand your Mobo, but isnt Vdroop really bad? Im pretty sure you want to set that to low, or none, or whatever you can for that. Maybe High Vdroop is what you need, but trying something different never hurt.

Yeah it does the qpi way to high when i use the OC genie. Just had to try it.

I will try those things tomorrow haven't had to much time to play with that stuff to much work.

Disable spread spectrum and your ram voltage is too high for that frequency IMO. Try a lower QPI frequency....

Just a quick question should i have it set to low voltage droop or high? I will take some screen shots of my settings tomorrow.

Ok here goes here all my settings currently in bios. Starting with

CPU FEATURE

Intel EIST Disabled

Intel C-State Disabled

C1E Support Disabled

Overspeed Protection Disabled

Hyper-threading Function Disabled

Execute Bit Support Disabled

Set Limit Cpuid Maxval to 3 Disabled

Intel Virtualization Tech Disabled

Intel VT-d Tech Disabled

Cell Menu

Active Processor Cores ALL

Intel EIST Disabled

C1E Support Disabled

Adjust Cpu Base Frequency 191

OC Stepping Disabled

Adjust CPU Ratio 21

Adjusted CPU Frequency 4011

OC Genie Button Operation Disabled

Base Clock Button Enabled

Dram Timing Mode Auto

XMP Profile Disabled

Memory Ratio 4

Dram Frequency 1528

Uncore Ratio Auto

Uncore Frequency 3056

Qpi Links Speed Full Speed

Qpi Frequency Auto

Adjusted QPI Frequency 6876

Clockgen Tuner

CPU Amplitude Control 800mV

PCI Express Amplitude Control 800mV

Cpu Vdroop Control Low VDroop

CPU Voltage 1.275

CPU PLL Voltage 1.880

QPI Vdroop Control Low VDroop

QPI Voltage 1.210

Dram Voltage 1.65

IOH Voltage 1.200

IOH PCIE Voltage Auto

ICH Voltage 1.350

Spread Spectrum Disabled

Ok that is all the settings in my bios that have been set. I am unstable at 4 ghz right now hopefully some of you guys see a glaring problem with some of my settings. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Hemidare

Well i appreciate everyone's responses but it looks like i will need to wait until some more people start playing around with this board. Cause i cannot for the life of me get this board stable at 4 ghz with temps under 80 degrees. I always spike to 85 degrees and i have reseated the heat sink a couple of times now with artic mx3. And every review i read says yes we got it up to 4.6 ghz stable but no description of the settings they used to achieve that clock. The book that came with the motherboard gives you very broad descriptions that don't explain anything. Ughhhhh frustrating. Thanks again though

Ok here goes here all my settings currently in bios. Starting with

CPU FEATURE

Intel EIST Disabled

Intel C-State Disabled

C1E Support Disabled

Overspeed Protection Disabled

Hyper-threading Function Disabled

Execute Bit Support Disabled

Set Limit Cpuid Maxval to 3 Disabled

Intel Virtualization Tech Disabled

Intel VT-d Tech Disabled

Cell Menu

Active Processor Cores ALL

Intel EIST Disabled

C1E Support Disabled

Adjust Cpu Base Frequency 191

OC Stepping Disabled

Adjust CPU Ratio 21

Adjusted CPU Frequency 4011

OC Genie Button Operation Disabled

Base Clock Button Enabled

Dram Timing Mode Auto

XMP Profile Disabled

Memory Ratio 4

Dram Frequency 1528

Uncore Ratio Auto

Uncore Frequency 3056

Qpi Links Speed Full Speed

Qpi Frequency Auto

Adjusted QPI Frequency 6876

Clockgen Tuner

CPU Amplitude Control 800mV

PCI Express Amplitude Control 800mV

Cpu Vdroop Control Low VDroop

CPU Voltage 1.275

CPU PLL Voltage 1.880

QPI Vdroop Control Low VDroop

QPI Voltage 1.210

Dram Voltage 1.65

IOH Voltage 1.200

IOH PCIE Voltage Auto

ICH Voltage 1.350

Spread Spectrum Disabled

Ok that is all the settings in my bios that have been set. I am unstable at 4 ghz right now hopefully some of you guys see a glaring problem with some of my settings. Thanks for all the help.

Major mix up here. You switched up your QPI and ICH, You set your ICH Way too high, and you set the QPI way to low. Switch them around, QPI at 1.3 or 1.35, and ICH to 1.2. Then try again.

Major mix up here. You switched up your QPI and ICH, You set your ICH Way too high, and you set the QPI way to low. Switch them around, QPI at 1.3 or 1.35, and ICH to 1.2. Then try again.

Yeah thanks for that but i have heat problems and not sure why especially with the noctua DH-14 I have hit 90 degrees and i dont even have the voltages that hi. 1.3 on the core and its ridiculous not sure why, i have reseated my cooler 2 times now and no difference. I am confused. The i7 930 is a d0 stepping to.