Overclocking a core I7

Boinker

Alright then Dr death. thanks a bunch. I have fed this chip the ringer on a benching night to see what I could do with it. I almost made it through at 4.50 but I think a better cooling solution is going to be needed to manage that one..... I see a dice or ITDW run (In The Dead Winter) :rofl:

Oh well, being happy with the benchmarking scores, Now I'm trying to find a stable medium for the chip. Doing tests at 3.6 but needing every bit of 1.30 to do it. Well when you think about it that is a 1Ghz OC. Woot.

thanks again to all those who have helped.

Thanks for the guide crazy, I did learn a few good things from that guide you posted... thanks a bunch.

P.S. This chip will not run 1866 memory not matter how much QPI voltage you stuff into it.... Sad, but hey, its only suppose to do 1066 "RIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHT" :rofl:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, got my settings dialed in at 3.6 I think. memory is at about 1720 right now so thats getting close. cleaning a pc while running prime 95 for an evening. we shall see if it stables out. load temps on hottest core are 60c. Yahoo.

ok, got my settings dialed in at 3.6 I think. memory is at about 1720 right now so thats getting close. cleaning a pc while running prime 95 for an evening. we shall see if it stables out. load temps on hottest core are 60c. Yahoo.

You have a lot more headroom. Good for you. See if you can catch my stable overclock @ 4.51GHz!!!!(Catch me if you can!). I think cookie is jealous too.

Edited by Drdeath

I can't get my 930 higher than 4.2GHz, that's with 1.36 vcore and 21x. I prefer running it on 4.01GHz as I found the best temps and vcore (1.33) there.

I've tried raising the vcore and multiplier higher than 4.2GHz but that always gives me a BSOD no matter what my voltages are on ram or anything. I guess you have to be lucky with the chip you get.

I can't get my 930 higher than 4.2GHz, that's with 1.36 vcore and 21x. I prefer running it on 4.01GHz as I found the best temps and vcore (1.33) there.

I've tried raising the vcore and multiplier higher than 4.2GHz but that always gives me a BSOD no matter what my voltages are on ram or anything. I guess you have to be lucky with the chip you get.

I wouldnt beleave everything you read. :popcorn:

??????? Are you saying his statement isn't true. LOL.. I pretty much need the same voltages for that overclock.......

No i wasnt talking about him, im just telling him not to beleave everything peeps say about how high there overclock is. Most really high overclocks are not 100% stable, they might be beanch mark sable, but no one that wants to keep there chip any amount of time would run it really high for any period of time. :cheers:

easy there you two, no sword fighting....

well I have gotten it roughly 8 hours stable through the night on prime small FFT at 3.8ghz. going to work on large fft later then hit up some OCCT linpak to do the final burn through to verify it.

Its kind of funny but this I7 in particular I have suicide benched at 4.40 and made it to the canyon flight.... I would have had maybe a 30K score with it but OH WELL. it was fun stuff to... thankd for the help guys, after I figured out how to set my different voltages i.e. pll and qpi voltages properly the ram is able to run at or just above factory, I was also trying to run the uncore WAYY to high. this fixed alot of issues. Im right now debating on weather to run vdoop or loadline... any thoughts.

:cheers:

Again thanks for the help guys. catch you all later. :D:rofl:

Enable Load-line for sure. Atleast with my Asus Mobo and i7-930 its very helpful, The vdroop was so bad id blue screen maybe 30 seconds after i got 100% load, But enable Load-line and bam... same voltage, totally stable. Yeah, I run 24/7 at 3.6Ghz but at a lowly 1.11275 vcore, and it stays nice and cool at 60c max on the hottest core, and thats on air cooling. When i go upto 4.2Ghz i use alittle over 1.30vcore(dont remember exact,sorry), but only time i see any increase in performance is in benchmarks... so i leave it at 3.6 for daily use. You'll never get 4.0+ stable if you dont learn to use the advanced voltage settings so im glad you started figuring those out. Someone linked the same guide i was gonna link so i wont bother with a relink.

Cool, thanks a bunch mercury. The help is much appreciated. I was benching mine the other day for the 3d mark 06 competition so ill see if I can beast my last score tonight with load line on. I was able to make it bench at 4.3ghz so lets see if I can push a little further then that. Maybe I can make 4.5 but who knows, I think that may give me 29-30K score but who know's. I'm just enjoying this i7 too much. :rofl:

Found the overclocking guide that I read and liked Guide

Edited by boinker