Overclocking a core I7

Boinker

Could anyone please recommend a good guide to overclocking a core I7. kind of getting stuck at 3.80

Specs

core I7 920

asus P6T7 Motherboard

Corsair dominator 1866

EVGA gtx 480

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mkay, Ill give that a shot and see what happens. I have been searching around for a while and all I have found is a guide that tells you. Set it here..... set it here.... set it here and there are your settings for 3.0 3.5 adn 4 ghz.... What a guide. :rofl:

Pretty much the same as how you got it to 3.8 GHz, but you're limited by temps/Vcore settings/batch type. D0 > C0.

Here's the simple method:

Set your Vcore an increment or two higher while at 3.8 GHz. Run your CPU stress tests and gauge your core temps. Monitor and repeat until you see it max out at 72C. Now, bump you BCLK by 5, stress test, monitor temps. You don't want it to max out higher than 75C. If it does but it's pretty stable, keep the BCLK but lower your Vcore until you find the lowest stable it can go, this lowers your temps. Stress test for at least an hour. Some say 24 hours, but I don't stress my CPU for longer than an hour, so it's relative to what you need.

If you crash, lower your BCLK by 1 until it's stable. If 3.8 or 3.9 is all you can get to because of your temps, then you need better cooling. You're limited by how efficient your CPU is. Some people can reach 4.1GHz with 1.3 Vcore, but others can't reach it until 1.35 Vcore. With liquid cooling, some might go 1.4 Vcore to get there.

There's more advanced things you can do to overclock, but this is the simple method.

Edited by El_Capitan

Disable all power saving features, disable turbo, run memory at stock or close to(in your case downclock ram to 1600-1700MHz), leave all voltages on auto to start with exception to vcore, use 21x for multi....  El Captains max temps are too conservative. You can easily run max stress test into low 80's/

If you use prime95, a minimum of 4 hours to max stress NB. 20 passes at LinX 25,000 problems is a nice run.

kkkk.png

Edited by Drdeath

Hey guys thans a bunch. Have made my way through most of the guides and am running stress tests at 4 Ghz. I am stable at roughly 3.80 at 1.25 volts and am stressing a 4 with 1.27 right now. Still cool so I like it. Havent seem above 62 sense I removed the plastic from the water block.... ROFL.

lol, Still looking for 4 ghz now. doesnt seem to want to run up there.. going to lower the Bclk then see if I can get stable close to 4 Ghz, if not im going to put it back to 3.80 and call it a weekend. this one in particular is a little more compliated t overclock then the last ones I have. good onld phenom 2, raise the multi and feed it the Juice and its good. lol. Good nigt folks, and thanks for the help tonight.

lol, Still looking for 4 ghz now. doesnt seem to want to run up there.. going to lower the Bclk then see if I can get stable close to 4 Ghz, if not im going to put it back to 3.80 and call it a weekend. this one in particular is a little more compliated t overclock then the last ones I have. good onld phenom 2, raise the multi and feed it the Juice and its good. lol. Good nigt folks, and thanks for the help tonight.

You need more voltage......(Vcore)

Yeah, I kind of figured that a given, I have been upping the Vcore slowly as I fail in Prime 95. The Vcore im testing at right now is 1.344. I hope it does not need more then that.

4Ghz may need a tad more than that...... I need 1.38V for 4.3Ghz........... So 1.34-1.36V is most probably the range depending on the chip. You can take the load temps into the low 80's and still be safe but I would not go much further.

Edited by Drdeath