3D Modeling

• 4 months later...

I got myself 3DS MAX with the student program and made this for a school project, it is so easy.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs269.snc4/39795_477201923676_515088676_6717071_8165915_n.jpg

I gave Blender and other free alternatives a try, but no, they didn't really work out for me. Isn't there a light version of 3DS MAX back then call g-max? I never tried it though.

As for learning, I think messing around and look up tutorials online or came with the program is the best method.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently making my portfolio for the 3D Animation program in the college that I'm applying to, so I'm trying out all those different programs like 3DsMax, Zbrush, Blender and a few others that aren't for 3D to get an advantage over the other people that are applying and that might not be using any of those yet, and I must say that 3DsMax and Blender are similar except that one is free. Unless you are going pro and want some mega high detailed stuff, Blender is probably what you need. The newest version has a very nice interface so all you need to do is watch a bunch of youtube videos and follow along with it in Blender, and after a few tries you'll get the hang of it.

I just finished making my first 3DsMax object and I'm pretty happy with what I've learned from this first experience. Got used to the interface and some of the options.

If you can get yourself a 3Dsmax that would be great, but if not then Blender will do the job too.

P.S. - I was wondering, what exactly do you want to do? 3D Modeling, or 3D Animation. Those are 2 very different things, and 3DsMax and Blender aren't the place to start if you want to model, it's way more complicated since they aren't meant to be simply models. Where as in programs like Zbrush (which I'm pretty sure has a free counter part as well) you can easily start modeling in 3D. Easy as drawing on a paper, though you might need a pen tablet for that if you want nice detail n stuff where as in 3DsMax I don't think you need one. There you use more sliders and numbers to get the desired shape and size.

Edited by sack_patrol

I found a 3D Modeling and Animation continuing education course I may take, but that doesn't start up until September.

EDIT:

P.S. - I was wondering, what exactly do you want to do? 3D Modeling, or 3D Animation. Those are 2 very different things, and 3DsMax and Blender aren't the place to start if you want to model, it's way more complicated since they aren't meant to be simply models. Where as in programs like Zbrush (which I'm pretty sure has a free counter part as well) you can easily start modeling in 3D. Easy as drawing on a paper, though you might need a pen tablet for that if you want nice detail n stuff where as in 3DsMax I don't think you need one. There you use more sliders and numbers to get the desired shape and size.

I have a tablet, though I don't use it much.

I want to get into game design, so that's why I want a taste of 3D modeling and animation to see if I want to go with that route or more of the programming route (I have programming experience, just not specifically for games).

if your into games most companies use 3ds max for exporting their stuff into game engines. Unreal Engine would be the biggest name you'll know. 2nd up is XSi which is a pain to learn but very diverse (now that autodesk owns it who knows). lastly my favorite is Maya because it can do just about everything but overwhelming for someone who just wants to make game models or small projects because the options are endless you can get lost.

Zbrush is fun to use (and you'll need it for highly detailed models) but without a wacom tablet you might as well avoid it, it like sculpting in clay using your fingers compared to a knife.

Edited by hornybluecow

In highschool I used Lightwave, then for my Game Design stuff we used Maya 8.5. It was relatively straight forward but I liked Lightwave better (of course nothing uses lightwave though).

Sounds like Wings3D is the way to go if you can't get a free copy of Maya or 3DSMax or Maya (which I hear are pretty much identical anymore since Autodesk owns both).

I'm really rusty now with them all, and never was good with most of the lingo but might be able to help you get your bearings if you need to.

if you get Maya, nurbs are fun!

I don't know whether this is relevant in the USA but it's certainly becoming moreso in the UK that the game design studios aren't interested in people with specific game design or even IT related degrees; they want people with good quality maths, physics and art degrees. How's things in the USA?

I don't know whether this is relevant in the USA but it's certainly becoming moreso in the UK that the game design studios aren't interested in people with specific game design or even IT related degrees; they want people with good quality maths, physics and art degrees. How's things in the USA?

that doesn't make much sense, but idk I switched majors to engineering so I never pursued a career with it to know what they are looking for.

I always assumed one with an impressive portfolio, and maybe some one with some decent mods for several games would have a nice shot at a employment in the game industry.

I know that it was certainly the case when I applied for a computer modelling/animation course that they definitely wanted you to be able to draw (life drawing was part of the interview process). Anyway, I didn't end up getting the grades I needed to do that, so I took a year out and then did a product design degree later (*cough* didn't graduate).

Anyway, I would say if you know which area you want to get into, then the best thing to do would be to write to the kinds of companies you'd like to work for and ask them what kind of skills they are looking for. They might even be able to recommended specific courses.

• ir_cow locked this topic