Important Notice About The Forum Reputation System

Eh...if I could I would ban anyone who uses it as well as receives it....but then I might be here all by myself...lol

Someone would find a way to rep you for doing it before you banned everyone. :biggrin:

I think the rep system can be useful, but perhaps its implementation needs tweaking. There are some users who definitely deserve +rep for doing cool things or helping people with their problems. I have yet to give out any negative rep, as I see no point in it. Zero rep is still rep, and it speaks louder the more posts one makes. That being said I think that no successive reps to the same user would be a good addition.

Take away negative rep and only allow positive rep.

Insert code that prevents multiple positive rep - works on other forums using the same system, though perhaps tweaked a little.

AVForums is a perfect example with the "thanks" system. Member has x thanks and has thanked y times, and shows who said thanks. On HotUKDeals, if you repped someone too many times (3 times) in quick succession, it would advise you to rep some other people before trying to rep that person again.

Negative rep will always be abused, despite it meaning very little.

+1

i like that. We need a Thanks system similar to that instead :)

Edited by ShallowBay

AVForums is a perfect example with the "thanks" system. Member has x thanks and has thanked y times, and shows who said thanks.

We have this over at Clunk.org.uk. It works very well. I don't ever recall it being abused.

Brian, I don't see the button you are talking about.

how do you give rep??

on the bottom right of each post there is a little plus, and a little minus sign, followed by a while box with a zero in it. The plus is for a good rep, the minus is for a bad rep.

Staff members can't give(not quite sure if they can or can't give though) or receive rep, so they don't have the little boxes.

on the bottom right of each post there is a little plus, and a little minus sign, followed by a while box with a zero in it. The plus is for a good rep, the minus is for a bad rep.

Staff members can't give(not quite sure if they can or can't give though) or receive rep, so they don't have the little boxes.

We can give rep - in fact, I believe our daily limit is slightly higher than regular members.

We can give rep - in fact, I believe our daily limit is slightly higher than regular members.

This is a true statement. stupid.gif

Negative rep is a good thing too, because you have people out their (like myself) who are not technologically challenged, but are out dated.

I like to tell people when I post something that is slightly important, to take what I say lightly. Back in 02-04 I new my crap.

But 6 years have gone by and I have not kept up with the Computer times. So most of the stuff I refer to or post about is from my knowledge from way back when.

So I would be a good negative rep candidate I think... lol!

I love the idea of this system, and I know our Admins will do a great job of making sure it does not get abused.. (especially since they don't do anything else around here... popcorn.gif)