Ebay/PayPal = use Delivery Confirmation/Tracking No Matter What!

Rokkaholik

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I've had it up past my ears with Ebay buyers as of late. Ever since the No Negateves for Buyers thing started, the buyers have been getting more bold as to their expectations, shipping times, slight imperfections on used items, etc... On top of that, they don't respond to e-mails, they don't bother with leaving feedback, etc. And to add to that, Would-Be scammers are out on droves looking for nice scores on sellers. I ALWAYS message a buyer the day I send something off and tell them how it was sent. The expensive items will always get DC (Delivery Confirmation) if they're shipped USPS and Tracking/Signature Confirmation if they're sent via UPS. On small things that are $10 or under, I save receipts, but usually don't pay the extra for the DC. This WILL CHANGE as of right now.

My last 10 ebay sales have resulted in 6 queries from buyers asking for Tracking Numbers or DC's within a week of auction end, but they don't mention why they're asking for them. Oddly enough, when I respond with the tracking or DC number that shows it's been delivered, I usually hear nothing back. The 3 where I didn't use it were smaller items and they all responded that they havent recieved the item.

Coincidence? It kinda looks to me like they're fishing to see if you used it or not. If you did, they don't question you beyond that and the package just manages to pop up. If you don't have DC or tracking, you're possibly going to have a claim against you.

In one of my most recent problems, I PM'd Bosco to make sure it was OK to post the ebayers name here.

Here's the incident as I explained to Bosco on June 24th. Auction ended on the 9th, buyer paid on the 10th.

I shipped off an ATI X1900 All In Wonder video card to a buyer on May 10th. Today (45 days later) he sends me a message asking if I have the tracking for it because he can't find the package.

Looking through his feedback, he has 100%, but if you look at the feedback left for others, it's a nightmare for sellers. I have a feeling he'll file a claim and get his money back from PayPal AND he'll get to keep the card as well.

Unfortunately for me, I threw out all my May-related shipping stubs a week or so ago. I KNOW I shipped his card out via USPS Priority with Delivery Confirmation because I sent him a message through the ebay messaging system to let him know, but I didn't send the Delivery Confirmation number for some dumb reason.

He hasn't filed a claim "YET", but I called both ebay and PayPal already to make them aware. Ebay is looking into his feedback abuse for sellers and already are siding with me because of this dummies history, but PayPal is being sketchy due to the fact that I threw out the DC number already. They said they'll look into the amount of claims he's filed as well as his feedback left for others due to his continual problems with sellers, but I have a funny feeling that i'm toast.

He has until tonight at midnight to file the claim and then the 45 days is up.

The user ID is: planet_argento

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=planet_argento

Lucky for me, he never did file a claim. Ebay looked into my messages and the guy on the phone said that I did do a good job always using the ebay messaging system to send buyers notes that their item was shipped and how it was shipped, but I never used the feature where you can post the tracking/DC number right in the auction, or on the PayPal transaction details on the PayPal site, which I never knew how to do. I will now be using that feature.

I was also able to go to the Post Office and ask them about possibly getting a copy of the Delivery Confirmation number if I had lost the original given to me and they did say it's possible because it's in a computer. They'd have to look through the transactions that day and compare them to the address shipped to.

So.... To be on the safe side, ALL my shipments from now on, big or small, will get Tracking or DC and Signature Confirmation, thus resulting in slightly higher shipping charges. To add, ebay has also CAPPED, most catagories with a ridiculously LOW amount you can charge for shipping, making sellers raise their prices to compensate. This was claimed to have been done to wrangle in sellers who overcharge on shipping, but they don't mention the fact that by doing this, they also get a HUGE chuck more money off the sale and PayPal transaction.

The BOOK section has a $4 cap if I remember right. When I shipped of my CCNA Networking book, it cost $11 to ship. In my current auction, my Algebra book/Solutions book will cost even more due to weight, and even more than that if it has to go to the West or East coast. A $4 shipping cap? Seriously??? The CD's section allwed $3 max shipping the last time I sold a CD. I usually used the Priority Mail boxes with bubblewrap and DC which ended up costing me $4.55 at that time. I think costs have gone up now. So I'd end up eating $1.55 on that shipping.

I understand that they're trying to crack down on sellers who oversharge on shipping, but who decided on what the caps would be? Did they weigh the smallest possible items in each section and go by the cheapest possible shipping method? Bah....

yeah I am debating on posting my monitors up on ebay right now after being ripped off for about $600 on there a couple years back.

Things have changfed ALOT in the last 2 years on ebay and paypal with seller protections. I am a very active seller on ebay, and have yet to have an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I can say I ALWAYS use dilivery confirmation/tracking with USPS, and once you create an online account with them and use Click-n-Ship, it is free! USPS introducing the Flat Rate boxes has reduced my shipping costs quite a bit, no matter where in the US its going, including HI and AL!

For the record, if you sell on ebay and don't know about Click-N-Ship online with USPS and Flat Rate boxes, then check it out! Monitors are a different story, too big for flat rate.

Advise on the monitors... take clear pics of the monitor running and the serial number. If possible, take the back off and take pics of the invertor serial too just in case of the old switcharoo game. Post the pictures of the monitor running as well as the monitor serial. If someone tries to pull something, you're covered. Just make sure you disclose any stuck/dead pixels or odd spots. Buyers are extremely picky about that, even with used stuff.

I stopped using ebay for the very reasons you listed. I haven't sold much on there, but the few things I have sold went very smoothly. I would get too angry with dysgenic filth trying to rip me off, and just quit selling on ebay altogether. Too much trash out there.

I am kinda in the same boat, but on the receiving end of things, on May 25th I won an action for a 42" television, I immediately sent the guy the payment so I could get the tv as soon as possible. On the 3rd of June the seller sent me a message stating that he had just noticed that I had paid for the item but the money was frozen for some reason but he would send the tv out the next day and send me the tracking number, I remember someone saying that on large transactions that the payment gets put on hold until feedback is given, so I left the guy positive feedback. The next day nothing no message no tracking number nothing. I waited 2 weeks then sent him a message asking if he had shipped out the tv yet. It is now the 7th of July and I have not heard . from this guy. I already filed a dispute with Ebay, and of course he still has not responded. Now I need to figure out how to change my feedback on him.

That hold was in place for that very reason. They won't change the feedback now. They'll ask why you'd leave feedback for something you hadn't received. The payments on new sellers or high dollar items are 21 days or until positive feedback is received. If you were getting no response from the guy, PayPal would still have your money to get back to you.

I've had a run of seller problems as of late too. Ones that wait over a week to ship, and then send via snail mail, and then don't respond to messages. These have been in the books area. The big resellers are bad for this. One person lists auctions blindly, another department takes care of payments, emails a 3rd place to pack it and then someone else to ship. All this is usually spread out all over the country in seperate warehouses. When you ask where the item is, they reply a week later.

Easy fix for the shipping costs. Write your own shipping costs in the detail of the item. Thats how you get rid of the "Shipping cap".

People on here seem to be getting very unlucky, since it seems almost every OCC'er has a problem with ebay yet my brother never had a problem and he has had at least 100 transactions(Buying and Selling).

Maybe its a good idea NOT to sell PC parts on ebay, since that is where issues seem to come up.

That does suck though, that guy should be sent to jail!