Would Fermi be a bad choice?

I will be doing a build soon. Oh so soon. How many times I've said that only to "oh, I'll just wait one more month due to new tech..."

Anyway. I am considering a GTX470 (I'd kind of like to have PhysX without having to use more than one card). I'll be gaming and probably start using "Folding at Home."

At first I had wanted a 5850 (or maybe lower to preserve budget better), but the GTX470 looks kind of tempting.

Would it be a bad choice to go with it? Is it even worth the cost? In case it matters, I was planning on using either an EVGA or ASUS brand card.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want the PhysX and and you want to fold then ya I would grab the 470.

If you want the PhysX after getting an ATI card you are going to have to get another card for the PhysX as CainuKe stated. It just depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend.

I'd probably spend a lot of time folding. While I'm at classes... fold. Maybe even fold while I sleep. :P

Perhaps down the road when today's new tech becomes obsolete, it could function as folding rig and just run 24/7 in me basement or something.

I will be doing a build soon. Oh so soon. How many times I've said that only to "oh, I'll just wait one more month due to new tech..."

Anyway. I am considering a GTX470 (I'd kind of like to have PhysX without having to use more than one card). I'll be gaming and probably start using "Folding at Home."

At first I had wanted a 5850 (or maybe lower to preserve budget better), but the GTX470 looks kind of tempting.

Would it be a bad choice to go with it? Is it even worth the cost? In case it matters, I was planning on using either an EVGA or ASUS brand card.

I dont know about the US but here in NZ a 470 is more expensive than a 5870. I dont think its worth it myself.

Prices via www.newegg.ca:

GTX470 by EVGA: $363.99

HD 5850 by HIS: $359.99 (though there are some 5850s as low as $304.99. There's one by Sapphire that's $389.99).

The 470 is about the same price as the 5850 (though it can depend on brand). Even then though, it's still not too much of a price spread.

And how come in NZ it's so costly? Lack of supply of them?

HD 5850 by HIS: $359.99 (though there are some 5850s as low as $304.99. There's one by Sapphire that's $389.99).

The 470 is about the same price as the 5850 (though it can depend on brand). Even then though, it's still not too much of a price spread.

Probably supply and demand thing is what I would suspect.

the GTX470 dominates the 5850 in most games and folding, so yeah it sounds smart to me if they're about the same price

This comment was very helpful and contributed to this thread. :bah:

I cant work it out why so expensive. Usually when I divide US dollar price by our exchange rate and add the GST (gov tax) it comes out really close to retail proces here in NZ.

NZD 5850 = $475 (sapphire) which is pretty close to what you would expect converting US to NZ and adding the GST tax to it. Cheapest GTX 470 is $699 and most $799. GTX 480 much worse, usually $1099 and can get 5970 for $999. 5870's are $699 but I got lucky and bought mine for $599. Gigabyte GV-R587UD-1GD.

Edited by dihartnell

470 = More heat, more power-hungry.

But it also beats the 5850 in a couple of benchmarks.

BUT...

you can change the voltage on the 5850 and push it up a notch to make it surpass the 470 and I bet it'll STILL be cooler :)

Get a 5850, imo.

One question on my mind right now:

For a PSU, I plan on using the Mushkin Volta 600w PSU. Would that be enough or should I bump up the PSU?

- My planned rig (if I use Fermi) would have an i5-750, GTX470, said PSU, some 1156 MOBO.

- However, if I opt for the 5850, I'd go with a Phenom II X4 955 build with an ASUS 890GX board.