Miek

Would Fermi be a bad choice?

One question on my mind right now:

For a PSU, I plan on using the Mushkin Volta 600w PSU. Would that be enough or should I bump up the PSU?

- My planned rig (if I use Fermi) would have an i5-750, GTX470, said PSU, some 1156 MOBO.

- However, if I opt for the 5850, I'd go with a Phenom II X4 955 build with an ASUS 890GX board.

Mushkin No. Other brands better. I would stick with Corsair HX 650 or 750 if you plan to Xfire/SLI later on

The difference between 5850 and 470 are the following: performance wise you could easily overclock the 5850 to get 470 performance with less heat but here's the thing. Direct X 11 introduced Tessellation (the main thing abotu DX 11, mind you) in which ATI is basically a prototype being the first manufacturer to ever create DX 11 cards. In Unigine Heaven 2.0 Benchmark an overclocked 5850 does pretty much the same as a 470 with less heat and power consumption EXCEPT when using tessellation. Heavy Tessellation is where the Fermi rapes the HD 5xxx series the 470 outperforming even the 5870 in most of these situations. If you want Direct X 11 performance get the Fermi. If not, get ATI. Oh and I don't even have to mention PhysX, do I. Yes, you can get a PhysX dedicated card for an ATI such as the 8800, 8600 (most recommend a 9800) but you could also get a PhysX dedicated card for the 470 and increasing its performance. All in all go with Fermi. At the prices you stated it is a no brainer. Just don't forget to buy a very well ventilated case or you'll run into trouble. As for the PSU a 650 should be enough as long as you get it from a respected manufacturer. There's a list of PSUs on this site done very well by a fellow member. Check it out. My choice - Corsair 650 TX or if you want to SLI in the future get a 750 TX.

Your friend, Rofltroll

Prices via www.newegg.ca:

GTX470 by EVGA: $363.99

HD 5850 by HIS: $359.99 (though there are some 5850s as low as $304.99. There's one by Sapphire that's $389.99).

The 470 is about the same price as the 5850 (though it can depend on brand). Even then though, it's still not too much of a price spread.

And how come in NZ it's so costly? Lack of supply of them?

there are 5850s as cheap as

$304.99....so there IS quite a bit of price spread. lol You can't compare an overpriced 5850 just so that the price spread is negligible, by doing so I can already tell you're trying to justify the 470 by any means necessary so just get it lol.

Clearly nothing we'll say otherwise can change your mind :rolleyes:

5850 is 300$ is not 380 or 350 $ and the fermi in my country is sold 470>5870 in price not in performance ,if ur getting a 470 for that price i would buy it, considering the 5850 prices in ur country are not good at all. or ur being riped off.

Mushkin No. Other brands better. I would stick with Corsair HX 650 or 750 if you plan to Xfire/SLI later on

The Volta got OCC gold in the review.

And I quote...

"Pros:

* Great DC voltage load regulation

* Excellent DC quality

* Five year limited warranty

* Modular

* Selectable tri-color LED fan

* Efficiency >80% at typical loading

Cons:

* None"

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Although the Volta I chose is only 600 watts. And I remember Corsair being described as "The Mercedes-Benz of PSU's."

Edited by Miek

Its when you don't research a brand/specific PSU and just state what everyone else says that this happens. That PSU is good, as you showed by the review. Not sure why you asked about it though...

Go ahead and go with Fermi, I don't see a big problem with it. Heat and Power consumption is never a problem for me personally, so if you don't mind it go get the GTX 470 :thumbs-up:

I was concerned that it was only 600w. I don't want to get a computer only to have it fry, lol.

It's 600w, with 39 amps on the 12v+ rail. Is that good enough?

Also: Does the slower clock speed of the 470 necessarily mean less performance?

Edited by Miek

Clock speeds? Please, never mention that again when comparing ATI to Nvidia. Just don't worry about that.

Says a GTX470 needs a 550W PSU, so you should be good then. Did you already buy this PSU?

Theres also the XFX 650W PSU, it looks and performs great ;)