Raytheon HD 5870 video card replacing a Ge Force GTX 275

I'm considering replacing my Ge force GTX 275 video card witha Raytheon HD5870 card. Woud there be much improvement in my graphics. I'm a gamer and would appreciate anyone's comments on this.

My rig:

Intel i17 965 Extreme Edition Processor

MSI X58 Eclipse LGA 1366 Mobo

Corsair TR3X6G100C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB DDR3 Memory

300GB VelociRaptor SATA HD 10K/16MB/SATA-3 drive

I'm considering replacing my Ge force GTX 275 video card witha Raytheon HD5870 card. Woud there be much improvement in my graphics. I'm a gamer and would appreciate anyone's comments on this.

My rig:

Intel i17 965 Extreme Edition Processor

MSI X58 Eclipse LGA 1366 Mobo

Corsair TR3X6G100C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB DDR3 Memory

300GB VelociRaptor SATA HD 10K/16MB/SATA-3 drive

No.

I had a gtx 275 and now I have a 5870. On my old 1440x900 monitor the gtx 275 was great, on my 1920x1200 monitor it was not great especially for the games I play (dolphin emu mostly, some dirt 2, and other stuff).

What resolution is your monitor?

Edited by xchrissypoox

I had a gtx 275 and now I have a 5870. On my old 1440x900 monitor the gtx 275 was great, on my 1920x1200 monitor it was not great especially for the games I play (dolphin emu mostly, some dirt 2, and other stuff).

What resolution is your monitor?

As Xchrissypoox says , yes but it depends on the resolution. I had a 4890 (similar power to a 275) which I OC'd and could run high settings for most games at 1680x1050 x 60Hz which is my monitor resolution and refresh rate. My 5870 allows me to run max everything at that resolution, so I notice a welcome difference but it will really come into its own when I get a 1080P monitor.

The bonus is that you will get DX11 and games developers will start to exploit that more, especially as NVidia and AMD now support it.

If you have a card labeled "Raytheon" you may want to turn it in to the FBI and tell them where you got it, because it's probably a missile part :lol:

SLI GTX 260 performs pretty close to a GTX 295 and even beats it if overclocked. GTX 295 is fairly close in performance to a 5870. Not sure how 3 GTX 260's would be worse than a single 5870 unless there's something wrong with the drivers (high possibility :P)

Yes, just look @ the comparisons to the 275: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sa...re_hd5870/5.htm (and check out the rest of the benchmarks)

Yes, there will be a difference if you're into benchmarking. If you're into gaming and your resolution is 1920 or less both cards have sufficinet muscle to produce playable framrates in today's titles. Everything that is steadily above 40 fps is playble, everything above 60 fps is completly meaningles, except to benchmark fanatics.

Plus Nvidia, can give you some more eye candy with physix.

BTW, I'm not a special Nvidia fanboy, I own a Radeon 4850.