5770 and WoW

BKen

I just built my new PC, and everything is running fine. I had a lot of probelms with Windows 7 64 bit, so i used 32 bit instead.

My current problem is whenever I play WoW, I get 7 fps on average. I can max other games, like Supreme Commander, and Sins of a Solar Empire with no lag whatsoever, but WoW isn't working. I'm pretty sure a 5770 should be able to handle World of Warcraft =P

I'm running Catalyst 10.1 drivers. I tried to revert to 9.12, but they wouldnt install. Specs are as follows-

XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Please, if you have ANY ideas, help me out!

Thanks,

BKen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using your old WoW installation? If so, try running the repair tool and, if that fails to solve anything (as usual!), reinstall the game.

And don't forget the usual rubbish Blizzard suggests, delete your cache and what the heck (forum sensors this... lol)... the Warcraft Text File folder, and backup/delete your addons. If that works, reinstall one thing at a time until you run into the problem.

Edited by Zertz

Yeah, if you suggested overclocking, please reread. This is a brand new build with a fresh install of everything, but I'll run the repair, thanks.

EDIT: I ran repair, and it didn't help. Please, any other suggestions?

Edited by BKen

Yeah, if you suggested overclocking, please reread. This is a brand new build with a fresh install of everything, but I'll run the repair, thanks.

EDIT: I ran repair, and it didn't help. Please, any other suggestions?

just because it's fresh doesn't mean it can't be freshER haha but I'd follow the advice of the WoW pro's first

some things to try

try to update your motherboard bios and try running catalyst 9.8 not 9.12

leave your bios settings stock, dont touch the memory or CPU especially

now, do you get low FPS in the old world or are we talking dalaran?

WOTLK is different than the first release

do you have BOTH power plugs on the graphics card plugged in if your card has two slots?

and both power cords are NOT on the same line correct?

your PCIE slot is NOT overclocked? never touch this in your bios. and it is plugged into the top PCIE x16 slot

your X2550 does NOT have any extra cores unlocked correct?

Do you have a super high resolution on your monitor?

Does turning down some settings help (AA for example)?

Nope, I've tried running with every setting at bare minimum and messed with them quite a bit, nothing seems to help.

now, do you get low FPS in the old world or are we talking dalaran?

I get a few more frames in the old world, but unnoticeable and it still micro-stutters.

My 5770 only has one power cord

PCIE slot is not overclocked, and the card is in the top x16 slot

And no, there are no unlocked cores on my 550.

EDIT: Yes, I made a post at the WoW tech forums, no responses so far. I posted here as I'm open to ideas, and the more people who know more than me, the better, right?

Edited by BKen