2010 Firearms discussion

Andrewr05

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Colt .45 Series 70 semi-auto. I love it and basically can put that dammed bullet exactly where I want it to go. Ive had cause to use it both at my place of business (liquor store) and at home(auto theft) that I bascially stopped mid-way. I'll tell you that guy was never happier to see the police. And let me give you some advice. If you have to pull the trigger on someone, make sure you finish the job. If you dont, you are opening a door to being sued for everything you own and everything you dont own for the rest of your life. Doesnt sound like good advice?? I was told that by my Local LAPD.

Im now sadly very close to inheriting a nice Baretta .308 and a nice over and under 12 guage. That will complete my home security needs nicely.

I HATE anti-gun Lobbyists. Oh one last thing. Im a life long Democrat but perhaps not so much a liberal.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm glad that it is now recognized within the states and not just D.C.

Too bad cities will still instate foolish regulations like limiting the number of rounds you may have in your magazine.

Despite the fact that extended magazine are more cumbersome and off balance the weapon and the fact that even a fledgling firearms operator can change a magazine in approximately 4 seconds.

or something even more ridiculous like in California where you are allowed to carry a firearm but are not aloud to have ammunition in or near the weapon.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose to begin with?

:lol:

I'm looking for a good home security gun. I live in Virginia so theres pretty much no obstructive laws other than the need for a permit for concealed weapons, but at the same time theres really no ranges around where I live. Since I'll be alone half the year while my fiancee is away, I'm looking for some high powered peace of mind. A friend of mine who's a real gun nut is trying to coax me into buying an M4 like he has, since he can get me a really great deal on it, but I'm not quite sure about that. I'm not opposed to any kind of gun, but I dont think a bolt action would be very practical. I guess I'm looking for someone to recommend somewhere for me to start doing my research on the subject so I can choose the right hardware for me... thanks :D

I'm looking for a good home security gun. I live in Virginia so theres pretty much no obstructive laws other than the need for a permit for concealed weapons, but at the same time theres really no ranges around where I live. Since I'll be alone half the year while my fiancee is away, I'm looking for some high powered peace of mind. A friend of mine who's a real gun nut is trying to coax me into buying an M4 like he has, since he can get me a really great deal on it, but I'm not quite sure about that. I'm not opposed to any kind of gun, but I dont think a bolt action would be very practical. I guess I'm looking for someone to recommend somewhere for me to start doing my research on the subject so I can choose the right hardware for me... thanks :D

Are you going to get into the habit of shooting a lot? Or are you going to have the gun in the closet until the time comes to use it? For someone who isn't a serious shooter, I would NOT get an M4 for a home defense gun. They're too complex and there's too much that can go wrong in the heat of the moment if you aren't properly trained on it.

That being said, the following two firearms are necessities for any American household. The recommendation is geared towards people who want to protect themselves, but aren't avid shooters:

smith_642.jpg

J-frame S&W or similar. .38 minimum. .357 preferred.

20709-1.jpg

Shortened 12-ga. shotgun, e.g. Mossberg 500 Persuader or similar. Never store a shotgun with a shell in the chamber, plus the sound of you racking the pump will likely scare off any intruders before you are forced to use it.

I would LOVE to shoot it a ton, every time I've been out shooting before its just been an absolute blast. I'm 100% accurate over my entire life shooting clays ( 1 for 1! :P ) and rifles are great fun too. I just need to find a range... would that shotgun be good for shooting clays?

The Mossberg 500 is perfect for shooting clays. That particular barrel wouldn't be the best, though. If it were me I'd look for at least a 24" barrel for shooting clays. My skeet gun is a Remington 870 with a 28" barrel. For home defense, a shorter barrel like the one on the Persuader is perfect. You can buy a longer barrel to swap them out whenever you go out shooting clays, or you could do like me and use that as an excuse to buy two shotguns. :evilgrin:

Lo is not doing you a disservice by espousing the qualities inherent in revolvers or pump shotguns as home defense weapons. I personally keep my Remington 870 within a step from where I sleep.

Depending on your particular needs (or desires) I would recommend first and foremost a pump action shotgun, a la the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. Both are outstanding. My preference is obvious but it has nothing to do with the Mossberg being an inferior implement. If your primary purpose is home defense and occasional sport shooting then I'd say it's a no brainer you need to pick up a shotgun. It helps that they're dirt cheap, relatively speaking. A shotgun will be easier to use and use accurately should you ever be forced into using it for its intended purpose compared with a pistol. The ability to choose from a number of different loads with a shotgun helps you tailor it to the task at hand to a far greater degree than with a pistol. Barrel swaps also mean your shotgun can be a skeet/hunting/home defense weapon all at the same time with a few moments' effort.

Don't get me wrong, I love my pistols. I carry one with me where ever legally possible generally speaking. Even if employed in merely a home defense setting they enjoy the quality of being small and easy to conceal, especially when compared to a shotgun. Although I prefer semi-auto pistols, revolvers have their obvious advantages. With a revolver you pull 'em the trigger with a chambered round in battery it go bang. Some silly fanboys out there might argue the same is true for a Glock but it's not. Not to mention how much more complicated a system your average semi-auto is when compared to a revolver. Revolvers just have a lot less stuff on them that can break. That said semi-autos, at least quality ones, are insanely reliable these days and can carry anywhere from two to three times the ammunition in one magazine as a revolver can hold. Expect to spend between $450-$700 on a quality semi-auto pistol. I haven't shopped any wheelguns in a while but a Smith&Wesson will probably set you back about $550-$650. Other manufacturers can be had cheaper, of course.

It's an interesting choice. Both are great in their own way. That's why I'd say get a shotgun and a pistol. ph34r2.gif

Sheriff revokes license of gun owner and his son in Iowa because he wrote letters to the editor critical of the sheriff. Federal judge orders a reissue of permits and forces sheriff to attend college level course on the 1st amendment.

LINK

Sheriff revokes license of gun owner and his son in Iowa because he wrote letters to the editor critical of the sheriff. Federal judge orders a reissue of permits and forces sheriff to attend college level course on the 1st amendment.

LINK

haha oops