Before i make the jump to win7

lost

The more i read about it, the more i want to just install it, so instead of reinstall XP I was thinking about making the jump to 7. I've had the 64bit version for a while now. Important questions bold and underlined, ha ha.

Current Specs

cpu: e6600

ram: 2gb, and i have 2gb collecting dust, so i can put that to use. mobo can handle 8gb.

vid card: 4770

hd: ordered 1 intel x25m 80gb, might have to order another? or maybe i can manage by just installing the OS, and World of Warcraft on it?

sound card: x-fi gamer (or i think that's the one, well its one of the flavors of x-fi. Did creative get around to finally get around to Win7 drivers for all their cards? I don't want to lose the ability of having my headset (front) and speakers (back) plugged in simultaneously)

Will i still be able to dual box and triple box world of warcraft? No I don't play all shamans. Don't get me wrong, WoW still lags a big when I'm flying threw past heavily detailed areas on all 3, but usually its fine when I'm killing or running old instances.

Other games I play:

Left 4 dead, left 4 dead 2, team fortress, Gunbound, Warcraft III (might run into problems with this game right?), Dragon Age Origins, Frets of Fire.

Edited by lost

The Win 7 OS install is roughly 12-16 GB. WoW is about maybe 15 GB. So I would say your good with an 80 GB hard drive.

You should be able to run dual and triple box. You talking about all on one PC or on 2-3 other PCs.

all one one pc

Creative drivers are fine on Windows 7. I have a P4 2.53 with an MX440 running at 1920x1080 on Windows 7 with the hardnrg hotrodded X-Fi Xtreme Music. Perfect, no issues at all.

nice. i dont know where, but i read that creative wouldn't be updating drivers for some of their sound cards for windows7, they even asked a forum member to remove his modded drivers from their forums that made the card work for win7

• 2 weeks later...
The more i read about it, the more i want to just install it, so instead of reinstall XP I was thinking about making the jump to 7. I've had the 64bit version for a while now. Important questions bold and underlined, ha ha.

Current Specs

cpu: e6600

ram: 2gb, and i have 2gb collecting dust, so i can put that to use. mobo can handle 8gb.

vid card: 4770

hd: ordered 1 intel x25m 80gb, might have to order another? or maybe i can manage by just installing the OS, and World of Warcraft on it?

sound card: x-fi gamer (or i think that's the one, well its one of the flavors of x-fi. Did creative get around to finally get around to Win7 drivers for all their cards? I don't want to lose the ability of having my headset (front) and speakers (back) plugged in simultaneously)

Will i still be able to dual box and triple box world of warcraft? No I don't play all shamans. Don't get me wrong, WoW still lags a big when I'm flying threw past heavily detailed areas on all 3, but usually its fine when I'm killing or running old instances..

Other games I play:

Left 4 dead, left 4 dead 2, team fortress, Gunbound, Warcraft III (might run into problems with this game right?), Dragon Age Origins, Frets of Fire.

If you upgrade over XP 7 will reformat your drive but it will save all you old programs, documents, etc. in a folder called "windows.old" You'll still have to reinstall them.They will not run from the folder. The Pro and Ultimate versions come with XP virtual mode so you can run XP programs from there(need cpu that has virtual capabilities) if they aren't compatible with 7. 7 will run well on 2 gigs of ram but if you have 2 more to install it will run better for gaming. Creative has done better with their drivers but the Win 7 drivers will work. I'm not a gamer but from what I've read 7 should run them better. Go for it. I've been running 7 since the beta and it's fast and rock solid.

Edited by nanoprobe

You're definitely want to upgrade to 4GB Ram or above. I easily max out my 2 GB (on the laptop) just doing school work on Win 7. I need to upgrade to 4GB Ram too, whenever a laptop kit goes on sale. Everything seems more expensive on laptops :(.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3411/mu...ingonlaptop.png

Edited by Krazyxazn

You're definitely want to upgrade to 4GB Ram or above. I easily max out my 2 GB (on the laptop) just doing school work on Win 7. I need to upgrade to 4GB Ram too, whenever a laptop kit goes on sale. Everything seems more expensive on laptops :(.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3411/mu...ingonlaptop.png

looks like yours could have issues maybe, or maybe just a slow cpu?

I've used lappies with windows 7 and only 2gb, seems fine for daily use.

• 2 weeks later...