New AMD Build...

Arjun

Hello Everybody,

I am new to OCC. Need u r guidance as i am building my first gaming rig. Following are the components. Please suggest which one to go for:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz

Mother Board: Asus Crosshair III Formula

Asus M4A79T Deluxe AM3

Graphics Card:Asus Radeon HD5850 1GB DDR5

Asus Radeon HD5870 1GB DDR5

Chassis: Cooler Master Chassis HAF 922

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

Antec 900

PSU: Corsair 750W

Cooler Master Signature 650W

Ram: G.Skill F3-12800CL7D-4GBRL DDR3-1600 2GBX2

Corsair XMS3 2X2GB 1600MHZ

Monitor: Samsung 2233SW 22'' Full HD Wide Screen

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N620

Cooler Master Gemini-S

Earlier I planned to go for Intel based system but my collegues as well as system builders told me I wont get that good performance on Intel as compared to AMD. Hence going for AMD based system. Also when i checked the prices for X58 mobos in India they are way too much, means for example Gigabyte EX-58 Extreme costs around $500 in Indian currency and Rampage ll Extreme around $640. Also I was told and i think its not justifiable to spend so much on an motherboard. Also I have a doubt whether will I be able to much overclock CPU using M4A79T Deluxe mobo as compared to Crosshair lll. My budget is around $2000, might be able to stretch a bit more.

Also it seems levies and taxes here are more. For example 5870 GPU costs around $450(including shipping) on online shops but here its $560 in stores.Also in future i might add another GPU hence in a dilemma which case to go for. All suggestion appreciated and welcomed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earlier I planned to go for Intel based system but my collegues as well as system builders told me I wont get that good performance on Intel as compared to AMD. Hence going for AMD based system.

I think you're mistaken, Intel systems will work just fine. In the US, AMD pricing is a bit more competitive and, hence, they are good builds for the money :)

depends on the budget. Intel can still wipe the floor of AMD as well as wipe out your wallet, lol.

I think your colleges may have been a little misleading. AMD does have a great bit to offer in the mainstream markets. With a great line of cheap CPU's that do perform well. But intel isnt to far behind and their performance for the most part is solid for the pricing. The ultra cheep segments are dominated by AMD as far as performance in the US. I would think your budget should also be able to get you a great Intel rig but pricing there could be way off.

If you truelly plan on adding another 5870 CF i would say intel will give you a good edge over AMD. I can only suggest you pass up the amd rig idea if you really plan on CF the ultra powerful 5870. The i7 is so much more appealing in these configurations with it having the raw power and the huge increase in memory bandwidth the advantage is enough to invest into intel when CF the 5870

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/dis...ng_4.html#sect0

Performance wise which of the following is better ?:

Ram: Corsair v/s OCZ v/s G Skill. Also suggest whether to go for 1333 MHZ or 1600 MHZ

PSU: Corsair v/s Cooler Master

Mobo: Crosshair lll v/s M4A79T Deluxe (considering overclocking)

I don't see a problem with the build in the first post. For your questions:

RAM: I've heard that G. Skill RAM is very good.

PSU: Corsair is probably the better choice.

MOBO: I like the Crosshair III, but that's kind of an opinion and based on things I've read.

Edited by Miek

Ok Guys here is my final Build:

Mobo : Asus Crosshair lll Formula

CPU: AMD Phenom ll X4 965 3.4 GHZ AM3

AGP: XFX HD 5870 1GB DDR5

PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Pro 650 W

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4 GB @1600 MHZ DDR3

HDD: WD Cavair 500 GB Sata

Montor: Samsung 2233SW 22'' LCD

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 922

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Gemini-S

Sounds Like your looking at pretty much the build i was going to do. Then I kept hearing and seeing reviews with the Phenom II X4 965 get its butt kicked again and again by i7's and even some i5's.

Going to cost me about $125 then I planned on but I look at it this way. Intel has the 6-core chips coming for the 1366 socket. As much as I like AMD and have used them for years not I think they finally ticked Intel off enough in the last year or so to get into the game.

I'm sure its a good chip and whatnot. But I like to get the best bang for my buck.

Just something to consider.

i would not go for wht cooler ur goin for ,go for the tuniq 120 extreme -rs2700 its the best and Corsair 750W u should be able to go crossfire later when u need it and go for a WD cavair 1tb or Seagate 1tb with 32mb buffer they both are same level of performance i would prefer seagate 1tb 32mb buffer really good costs rs4000

Edited by joel.monteiro

Ok Guys here is my final Build:

Mobo : Asus Crosshair lll Formula

CPU: AMD Phenom ll X4 965 3.4 GHZ AM3

AGP: XFX HD 5870 1GB DDR5

PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Pro 650 W

Ram: Corsair XMS3 4 GB @1600 MHZ DDR3

HDD: WD Cavair 500 GB Sata

Montor: Samsung 2233SW 22'' LCD

Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 922

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Gemini-S

I think the corsair 650W PSU will cost much the same.. You could consider that..

Which Corsair sticks?

Better Cooler please.. Atleast Hyper 212+ if you can't find better..

Intel has the 6-core chips coming for the 1366 socket.

So what? AMD also has 6-cores coming for the AM3 socket. Everyone knows that the 980X will sell for 1k$, so if you're ready to spend that much for a CPU, go for it! It will without any doubt be the best performance all around. If not, the AMD one should be much cheaper.