How efficient is Windows 7?

sack_patrol

Ok, but I'm not concerned with weather it'd run on my system or not.

don't know what the weather has to do with this conversation but it's cold as balls here.

Just stick to xp until you build a new computer. Once you decide to build a new rig put lots of RAM since that seems to be a big deal to you. Then put a huge hard drive since you're worried about a few MB's taking up precious space. Once you have your new system, do a dual boot with xp and windows 7. From the way you're talking I wouldn't try to upgrade your current computer though I don't know the specs.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering about the new Win 7. Is it a big deal, and is it worth updating to it? I mean except the better DirectX. Is it faster than XP? Does it require a lot of ram? Does it have lots of problems like Vista. I know XP has 0 problems. Is Win 7 customizable like XP for maximum performance? Will Fallout 1 2 and Tactics run on it along with other old games? :lol: Are there any striped versions that are already optimized and well...striped of access programs?

When I was using 7 for 30 days I found the following things out:

It crashed far less often than Vista

It used 2500 MB less RAM

Some things such as my TV tuner worked better on 7 and it was actually made for Vista

You can have multiple backgrounds and set them to rotate

Overall I was very happy and if I had the money I would upgrade to 7 right now.

don't know what the weather has to do with this conversation but it's cold as balls here.

Just stick to xp until you build a new computer. Once you decide to build a new rig put lots of RAM since that seems to be a big deal to you. Then put a huge hard drive since you're worried about a few MB's taking up precious space. Once you have your new system, do a dual boot with xp and windows 7. From the way you're talking I wouldn't try to upgrade your current computer though I don't know the specs.

more ram isn't what I want. getting the most OF my current ram. getting it to be the best ram it can. Win7 won't help that. So except the DirectX10 which I totaly don't care about there is nothing else for me in there. If I upgrade my ram one day for some reason I'd try win7. I'd probably wanna get a new hdd or ssd so I can save this one and not reinstall the whole thing if I decide to turn back. Or simply have 1 hdd with xp and 1 with win 7. That would probably be good until I settle in with 1 single os.

I was just wondering about the new Win 7. Is it a big deal, and is it worth updating to it? I mean except the better DirectX. Is it faster than XP? Does it require a lot of ram? Does it have lots of problems like Vista. I know XP has 0 problems. Is Win 7 customizable like XP for maximum performance? Will Fallout 1 2 and Tactics run on it along with other old games? :lol: Are there any striped versions that are already optimized and well...striped of access programs?

I am the supreme authority on operating systems and without trying it out I say it's bad. I mean, it's just like Vista right? Everyone hates Vista (I've never used it either) and says it has problems so it must be bad!

/sarcasm

EDIT: Now that I've read the thread...it seems that ballist1x has done a perfectly fine job of yet again digging himself into a hole with his amazing logic and debate skills. :lol:

Edited by Waco

I have two computers running XP, and one computer that I am dual booting Vista and Win 7.

I have never been much for the pretty interfaces in XP and Vista, so I actually run the Windows Classic style (Windows 95 look and feel :) ) in XP and Vista.

But in Win 7, I am really liking the Aero themes (United States is my favorite) so much, I can't go back to the Classic style. Very nice interface and Win 7 runs great too, even with Aero enabled.

If I could get Win 7 free, I would definitely upgrade from XP, but I am still very happy with XP, so I really have no incentive to upgrade yet. ;)

So, in short, I guess what I am trying to say is if I HAD to pick, I would go with Windows 7.

I have two computers running XP, and one computer that I am dual booting Vista and Win 7.

I have never been much for the pretty interfaces in XP and Vista, so I actually run the Windows Classic style (Windows 95 look and feel :) ) in XP and Vista.

But in Win 7, I am really liking the Aero themes (United States is my favorite) so much, I can't go back to the Classic style. Very nice interface and Win 7 runs great too, even with Aero enabled.

If I could get Win 7 free, I would definitely upgrade from XP, but I am still very happy with XP, so I really have no incentive to upgrade yet. ;)

So, in short, I guess what I am trying to say is if I HAD to pick, I would go with Windows 7.

Do you know ho much space an installation of win7 takes up on the hdd? Doesn't need to be exact. And also how much ram it uses up to function. thx

Well, not sure how much of it is needed to function, but the Windows folder is about 17GB in size vs 22GB for Vista vs 15GB for XP.

RAM usage is around 1.5GB for Win 7 and Vista, 600MB for XP.

Negligible differences really when you get a 500GB HDD and 4GB RAM in a not too expensive system.

Windows7 Professional 32-bit = 16Gb minimum

Windows7 Professional 64-bit = 20Gb minimum

These "minimums" will be affected by size of your page and hibernation files. Of course you can turn off and delete hibersys and manually shrink the page file or offload to another drive if necessary.

In my system with all apps loaded and necessary background functions running (i.e. antivirus, task scheduler, some sidebar gadgets etc.) the system is using+reserving 1.2Gb of RAM). But keep in mind that the new memory management model used in Vista and Windows 7 is completely different than the memory management in XP. Windows 7 is very operationally "aware" of how much physical memory is installed in your machine and manages memory allocation accordingly. In my system I have 6Gb of RAM installed.

I have been a long time user of Windows 2000 Professional and later Windows XP Professional and never used Vista save for the 64-Bit Ultimate version which I installed on my travel laptop (which was also a good OS). Right now all of the machines on my network have been upgraded to Windows 7 except for my FTP server which is still running Windows XP Professional.

I haven't found a single application that absolutely refuses to work in Windows 7, installations are painless and most rigs boot with at least usable drivers already included in the Win7 driver store. So from a dyed in the wool (i'll never leave XP) fanboy, I've been 100% happy that I've made the switch to Windows 7 pretty much across the board.

In fact Windows 7 works so much better than XP in so many things, that I've found myself using features of Windows 7 that I wouldn't have even considered when I was running XP.

Edited by wevsspot

"They better come up with something less sucky and ghey looking"

ya, until they get dedicated servers for windows 7, i'm sticking with XP

"linux is like the most ghey of all...except ubuntu I guess...and Mac...and everything else not WinXP"

"i'm gay." <--- Best insult you could come up with? hahah :DDDDDDDD

"i think i wanna lick some ballsack." -"ewww, why would u do that?" <--- Only thing missing now is a "your mom is so fat" joke =)

This thread is even funnier than the noob effect xDDDD

I'm sorry now I didn't log in this morning, I seem to have missed quite a bit :P

Right, so linux is gay? I agree completely. Having a 3D cube made out of a Youtube video, a flash game, Steam and the OCC forums and being able to spin it around to whichever one you want is completely gay. 15-second bootup times, Gay Pride gay. Miniature hard drive usage, gay, gay, gay!

I recognize you from somewhere...