Is Pc Gaming dying?

Desktop-pro

Yes but why not delay the console version? As for the reviews: I mean that when they review the multi platform game, they'd do almost all the review on a console and only a bit on the PC. It's noticeable that when the vid is showing PC version or console version. Though I've noticed that everyone would prefer recording the review from the console while it doesn't matter and it is a matter of personal preference. The demos for example for a multi platform would also be on a console instead on the pc (gameplay dems etc.) because they want to show the game, not the console so again it's a matter of personal preference. I'd never give up my PC for a console, and if I got a console for free for a holiday or something, I'd sell it. :P

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still visit my local game store from time to time but the swing from PC to console gaming has been extraordinary! Not too long ago the store was predominantly PC games but it is now relegated to a small corner at the far end of the store. Sure places like Steam and other download sites have contributed but can this account for the decline?

I can second this transition. Years ago when I wanted a title for my PC I'd take a trip to the local game store, where there'd be a whole wall dedicated to PC. Now, the same store doesn't carry ANY PC titles, however, as I was told, they could put in a special order for me. Consoles have become more mainstream and titles like Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc. have brought gaming to an entire demographic of people who otherwise might not play a video game. I think one could point to the Wi as a perfect example of bringing gaming to those who might not otherwise pick up a controller.

Today if I want to actually purchase a physical copy of a PC title I'll have to go to Wal-Mart, which may or may not stock the title in their also-shrinking PC section. Unless the game is extremely popular or new it's a toss up as to whether it'll be on the shelf. Sure, there are other retail outlets out there that carry PC titles, but finding a PC game has become more of a hassle than in years past.

A very high percentage of my game purchases have been through Steam, perhaps 60-70%. Sometimes it's because it is convenient to do so, vis a vis downloading a game during the day while I am at work, but most of the time it is because I know I will likely not find the game close by. I live in the metropolitan Atlanta area, near a fairly affluent town full of people with cash to spend (generally speaking), so your experiences may certainly vary just based on the area you live. Just thought I'd share my experience.

No, I don't think PC gaming is dying, but I do think that the manner in which it is being delivered to the consumer is in flux. Will we see it go totally digital, or will you still be able to find a physical copy of the latest much-awaited game say 5 years from now? We'll see.

Yes but why not delay the console version?
Usually it's because of one word: greed. If a game is released for all platforms at the same time, the vast majority of people are only going to buy one copy. Someone may predominantly be a PC gamer, but if they really want to play a particular game, they'll wind up buying the console version and some may wind up buying the PC game as well for the superior graphics, controls, etc. I never really understood that, but know several people who have done this in the past.

Usually it's because of one word: greed. If a game is released for all platforms at the same time, the vast majority of people are only going to buy one copy. Someone may predominantly be a PC gamer, but if they really want to play a particular game, they'll wind up buying the console version and some may wind up buying the PC game as well for the superior graphics, controls, etc. I never really understood that, but know several people who have done this in the past.

thus the poor unfortunate pc has to suffer. :(

Wow, way to make an illogical jump to ludicrousness. Congratulations, you win! :rolleyes:

gee you sound a little sore there. i was of course exaggerating, if you can't read into what i said correctly, i'll spell it out.

if half life 3 is released to consoles, and PC gamers don't have the hardware to play it, then from a gamers perspective, PC gaming is dead.

gee you sound a little sore there. i was of course exaggerating, if you can't read into what i said correctly, i'll spell it out.

if half life 3 is released to consoles, and PC gamers don't have the hardware to play it, then from a gamers perspective, PC gaming is dead.

If for some strange reason new GPUs cease to be made for PCs, all games will still play better using the current gen of cards than on consoles unless new consoles come out...but if new consoles come out, they'd require new GPUs (sorry, Nintendo, you don't count), so the odds of them not coming to PCs is pretty slim.

If for some strange reason new GPUs cease to be made for PCs, all games will still play better using the current gen of cards than on consoles unless new consoles come out...but if new consoles come out, they'd require new GPUs (sorry, Nintendo, you don't count), so the odds of them not coming to PCs is pretty slim.

there is no "strange reason" here, it's if onlive is providing a high end PC gaming experience that doesn't require an expensive gaming PC. demand drops, and so does supply as well as development of high end PC GPU parts. did you forget what we were talking about?

PC gaming and a gaming PC are two entirely differently things. You don't need a high end GPU to enjoy PC gaming, nor is one needed for PC gaming to survive.

so do you think high end GPUs necessary to keep PC gaming alive? you seem confused on this issue.

Please try to keep this thread from becoming a pc vs console debate. We already have one of those. :lol:

Pc gaming will never truly die, But will it become a bigger market in the future or a smaller?

Edit: I don't see onlive really working. Even if it did, it is basically a console with better graphics and less features. Correct me if i am wrong.

Edited by Desktop-pro

Well if pc gaming were to die then consoles would be SOL. Consoles use PC gpu technology. ATI and Nvidia are advancing forward at a fast pace because of PC gaming. There was no better solutions for the best GPU they had to borrow from the leaders in GPU technology. There is no way the PS3 and 360 couldve came out when they did if they had to build their GPUs from the ground up. The money it would take to do it is insane. The money nvidia and ati spend is just as well. We now have GPU with such a huge amount of power its almost unbelievable. These designs are well tested in the PC arena and will lead up to the next big console release. Their development and production heavily fueled by GPU sales in the PC field. Its a bigger market then one might think. It is the next console technology coming to light. Its the computer industry that drives the components in consoles. Consoles are disposable computers that are finely tuned to a specific purpose which it does very well.

For yrs know we have been hearing that PC gaming is dying. I am not sure why its still floating around. In the end 2007-2008 all the articles read "PC gaming is dead!". Well PC gaming is still pretty strong. It accounts for large amounts of dollars when all totals are added up.

"November's total software haul hit $1.46 billion for the month, a 6.6 percent decline over the same period in 2008. Frazier clarified that total for GameSpot, noting that PC game sales brought in $51.7 million on the month, with the remaining portion derived from console and portable game sales. " source

This may seem small to you in comparison but this 1.46b is the total of all game sales over all systems and hand-helds. But even still the PC sales are far from accurate. Very far. There really is no accurate tracking of PC game sales at all. None of the digital downloads are counted. Not hear not a single one. Its fair to say that much much more sales went uncounted at all. There really is no accurate counts out there but i can say that vfor sure there isnt any indication ovf pc gaming dieing.

PC exclusives is another story

there is no "strange reason" here, it's if onlive is providing a high end PC gaming experience that doesn't require an expensive gaming PC. demand drops, and so does supply as well as development of high end PC GPU parts. did you forget what we were talking about?

so do you think high end GPUs necessary to keep PC gaming alive? you seem confused on this issue.

It's you who seems confused on the issue, as you clearly don't understand what onLive is. onLive is NOT a console, it is a service that allows users to use onLive's PCs to play games. If you expect games to "improve" over time, then new GPUs are necessary even if onLive is main driving force. The end.

PC gaming wont to die untill AMD/ATI and Nvidia die, since PC gamers are such a huge market for both company's ;) its true that console gaming is getting ever more popular but have you looked at the PC games list for 2010? i think you will be Astounded at how many GOOD games there are coming out, infact i hear that people are calling january 2010 the 'Second Christmas' :lol: