Is Pc Gaming dying?

Desktop-pro

I know i am asking a community that is primarily PC gamers. So i expect a somewhat biased response. Nevertheless I would like your honest opinion on where you think PC gaming will be in say 10 years?

Edited by Desktop-pro

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a gaming platform the PC has been and will always be the most technically capable, but that may not save it from the threat of services like onlive which could radically change the market.

frankly i can see a future where the PC becomes the lead platform, and one where it dies out altogether, only time will tell.

probably not. RPGs, MMos ect.. still will stay on the pc. Also as gaming consoles graphics and performance gets better so will pc graphics and performance. So it will die for some and not for others. Like for me FPS and racing games are more on the console for me. But MMORPGs are more pc for me now. So it really depends on the person it self.

rts games on a console are absolutely terrible because they are hard to control,

if a console had a good mouse or something like that then rts games could be better on console than they are today.

as for fps I personally find them good on console and pc, it just depends on what you get used to.

PC gaming is very expensive and can be troublesome as you are always tweaking and messing with stuff to get them to work where with a console you just turn it on and play.

I dont think pc gaming is going to die but there are a lot of reasons that consoles are so popular and will continue to grow in popularity.

I refuse to play virtually any FPS game on the consoles, they just don't belong there aside from a few on the Wii. And that is mostly because the Wii has the most PC-like control system so I'm still pretty accurate with it. An FPS game belongs on the PC due to the vastly superior mouse and keyboard scheme, its far more precise and just overall a more natural system. Another one of my friends feels the same way.. he refuses to play an FPS game on the PS3 and prefers them on his PC.

For PC gaming, I feel like the market goes through different trends. Right now, its more of a casual game trend and people are not wanting to spend big money on a PC to play games that you can play on a single core system with ease. Casual gaming is here to stay for the time being and until some big companies release games on the PC that everyone can get into, I do not see PC gaming getting the big resurgence it once got. There was a time not that long ago when PC gaming was "dying" and it took a few big games to bring it back into the forefront of everyones eye. The same thing is happening now, the market is getting full of casual games and its going to take some big titles to bring the console crowd back into our mix. We need PC developed and PC only titles to do that.. none of this "I develop for the 360 and then port it to the PC" BS we've been getting for a few years.

as a gaming platform the PC has been and will always be the most technically capable, but that may not save it from the threat of services like onlive which could radically change the market.

frankly i can see a future where the PC becomes the lead platform, and one where it dies out altogether, only time will tell.

Actually, onLive doesn't threaten PC gaming, it benefits it. If onLive is a success, then game developers will be more apt to develop PC games.

As for the question in hand, no, it isn't dying. Industry analysts have said that PC gaming was dying ten years ago, but they simply don't have a grasp of the PC gaming landscape. Sales data doesn't represent MMO subscriptions, nor digital downloads...both huge chunks of the puzzle. And although piracy may deter game developers from creating games for the PC, the large amount of piracy does show that there are more PC gamers than mere sales numbers point out.

Until consoles can handle MMOs and a mouse/keyboard combo is standard, console gaming is not a threat to PC gaming...but then again, if those things occur, would those consoles not merely be un-upgradeable PCs?

Yeah those console ports blow and a lot of times have some very hefty system requirements compared to games that are more graphically enhanced, compare the visuals in Halo 2 PC to Half Life 2 then compare the system requirements. Guitar Hero 3 PC also has some hefty requirements. And I know I have said it a million times but Consoles are for fighting games Mario and racing games.

Yeah those console ports blow and a lot of times have some very hefty system requirements compared to games that are more graphically enhanced, compare the visuals in Halo 2 PC to Half Life 2 then compare the system requirements. Guitar Hero 3 PC also has some hefty requirements. And I know I have said it a million times but Consoles are for fighting games Mario and racing games.

The problem with many ports are that the devs don't know how to optimize them for the PC, or are just too damn lazy. Nevertheless, there are some great ports, like Assassin's Creed...and then there are sometimes way to improve crappy ports, like Oblivion (thru mods).

PC gaming is certainly dwindling, but I can't see it dying away any time soon. The growth in popularity in console gaming is entirely fueled by manufacturers dropping prices far below what is economically viable, so in tue long run it's more consoles that are at risk of dying out...