12 replies to this topic

#1 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

I'm well aware of basic maintenance using canned air to keep your hardware clean, but my poor system has suffered at the hands of my family. Dust is caked on enough into the fins of my SI-128 that canned air does nothing. Does anyone know how the best way to deal with super bad dirt and dust issues? I'm thinking of using pipe cleaners, but I'm not sure if that introduces a static risk. Help!
Is my Razer Diamondback retro yet?
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.

#2 yiso

yiso

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'm well aware of basic maintenance using canned air to keep your hardware clean, but my poor system has suffered at the hands of my family. Dust is caked on enough into the fins of my SI-128 that canned air does nothing. Does anyone know how the best way to deal with super bad dirt and dust issues? I'm thinking of using pipe cleaners, but I'm not sure if that introduces a static risk. Help!

ArctiClean from Arctic Silver should do the job !

Regards,,,

AMD PhenomII X4 955 @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P - 2x2GB Patriot Sector 5 G-Series - Gigabyte 9600GT(upgrading very soon to HD5850) - 500GB Maxtor 16MB SATAII 3.0Gb/s - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD-RW - Stock 550watt

#3 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:16 AM

While I know that's great stuff, I need a safe way to get in between the fins. Sorry, I should have been more specific before.
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.

#4 Crazy_Nate

Crazy_Nate

Philosophy begins in wonder.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

While I know that's great stuff, I need a safe way to get in between the fins. Sorry, I should have been more specific before.

If you're really in a bind, you can try to find some less toxic coil cleaner stuff that AC guys use. Spray on, rinse off. May require removal of heatsink :ph34r:

OCC Recommended Power Supplies List - The Official OCC Raid Guide - OverclockersClub Rules - OCC Market Place Forum Rules - OCC IRC

Posted Image

Intel i5 650 @ 3.2 -- TR AXP-140 Passive -- Mushkin Blackline 2x2GB -- Asus Gene III P55 / mATX -- WD Caviar Black 1TB -- Corsair HX 750 -- Custom HTPC Case
AMD PII X4 965 -- Mushkin Silverline 2x4GB -- ASUS M4A88T-M -- WD Caviar Black 1TB -- Corsair HX 650 -- LIAN LI PC-V354A (Silver)

#5 mazakman

mazakman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'm a smoker so I'll take the heat sink off every 3 to 4 months and basically give the thing a bath using an industrial cleaner that I get from work (pharmaceutical company) but regular dish washing liquid should do the trick as it in most cases it will cut through grease, oils or whatever.

First I'll shower the the heat sink using the vegetable rinser (or whatever you call those things if you have one that is) with hot water in the kitchen sink. Then I'll let it soak in a mixture of hot water and cleaner for a while then rinse it well... does the job every time and comes out spanking clean.

Hope this helps.

#6 panjang110

panjang110

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

remove both the heatsink and fan/fan shroud and soak only the heatsink it in diesel, remove the excessive dust with soft brush and rinse it of with gasoline...i have a severe dust issue and the dust itself is quite sticky due to heavy smoking in the room heheheh :wacko:

p/s: this is only for severe dust problem and don't worry about the gasoline it will evaporate leaving the sink dry and clean and the fume will go away after a few days

Edited by panjang110, 22 December 2009 - 10:37 AM.

Main Rig

i5 3570K,Asrock Z77Pro4-M,2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600,HD7970,Kingston V300 120GB,WD black 1TB

Enermax Naxn 750 Watt, Cooler Master N200, Samsung S27A950D 120Hz, Razer Arctosa,Logitech MX518

Custom Loop

XSPC Raystorm Block, EK DCP 4.0,EK DCP 4.0 Res Combo,HwL Black Ice GT Stealth 240,2xDelta EFB1212HH

mts6.jpg

#7 slugbug

slugbug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

I used our Filter Queen vacuum on reverse to blow the dust out of my clogged heatsink. It got everything out.

#8 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys :). I'll get started.
s

#9 sack_patrol

sack_patrol

cozza frenzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

New heatsink is faster. You could try getting one of those thin sharp knifes for cutting paper and other stuff...I don't know what they are called but they are REALLY sharp...I guess it would work with a razer blade. Stick it in between the fins and get rid of most of the dust that way, then just use canned air for the rest. I think it's a bit more practical than diesel and gasoline...I for one don't keep those in my apartment...I don't even have any, and if I did...I wouldn't use them to clean my PC. XD

Timestretch2.png

#1: DFI 790FXB-M3H5 | Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.6Ghz | Sunbeam CCF 4 | Vapor-X 5870 1GB 940/1290 | Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB 1333Mhz 7-7-7-24 | Razer Barracuda AC-1

#2: MSI Z77-GD65 | Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Noctua NH-D14 | WindForce GTX 680 2GB 1306/1688 | Ballistix Tracer 2x4GB 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 | Xonar Essence STX

Chassis: Antec 902 | Corsair Force GT 90GB | Seagate 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 320GB | OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

Peripherals: Logitech G400 | Rosewill Cherry MX Red | audio-technica ATH-AD700 | Asus vh238h 23' LED

#10 Gopher Love

Gopher Love

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

And another quick thing...

You dont need to worry about putting a static charge into your heatsink when it's off for cleaning.... it's not an electrical component. But holding it, ground yourself out before reinstalling.. it could build up a charge for when you put it back on. If you make sure your constantly grounded you dont have to worry about static to much. I just hold onto the case the whole time basically.

#11 sack_patrol

sack_patrol

cozza frenzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2184 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

And another quick thing...

You dont need to worry about putting a static charge into your heatsink when it's off for cleaning.... it's not an electrical component. But holding it, ground yourself out before reinstalling.. it could build up a charge for when you put it back on. If you make sure your constantly grounded you dont have to worry about static to much. I just hold onto the case the whole time basically.

or get a static wrist band for 3 bucks. I got one for when I was building my PC though I don't use it that much anymore cuz I think it's not such a big deal...just touch the PSU from time to time.

Timestretch2.png

#1: DFI 790FXB-M3H5 | Phenom II 965 BE @ 3.6Ghz | Sunbeam CCF 4 | Vapor-X 5870 1GB 940/1290 | Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB 1333Mhz 7-7-7-24 | Razer Barracuda AC-1

#2: MSI Z77-GD65 | Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | Noctua NH-D14 | WindForce GTX 680 2GB 1306/1688 | Ballistix Tracer 2x4GB 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 | Xonar Essence STX

Chassis: Antec 902 | Corsair Force GT 90GB | Seagate 1TB | WD Caviar Blue 320GB | OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W

Peripherals: Logitech G400 | Rosewill Cherry MX Red | audio-technica ATH-AD700 | Asus vh238h 23' LED

#12 ben333

ben333

Master Ben Blasterr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

Air compressor or a bath in the sink.
Oh, hell yeas...
Posted Image
CPUs//////GPUs//////Mobos//RAM////HDDs
Q6600 Quad/8800GT 512MB/DS3-L/2 GB Corsair/160 GB, 80 GB - 7.2k IDE, SATA