A 5900 To 5950u

Nuclear

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

is there any better aftermarket? of core im talking bout the normal nvidia cooler for those cards i ram cooling could be better but its attached to the main hs

This isn't a world changing mod. The best thing it does is supplies more voltage to your GPU. I even say on my site that you shouldn't expect more than a 5-10% increase. When your an nvidia guy (thank god I'm not), you take everything you can get.

Nuclear can I get a link already and get this bios flash :)

This is the second time i got a dead link :P

Sorry about the link guys, I'm in the process of switching my domain name over, so any old links I have no longer work.

I have prepared a .zip file for all the guys who are wanting to do this. The zip file contains a copy of the Gainward Golden Sample 5950U BIOS and install instructions. My site will feature a full guide and screenshots when it becomes available again in about 24HRS.

The advantages to using this Gainward BIOS:

1. Many bugs associated with the LeadTek BIOS are not present

2. A more accurate temp reading is given

3. Tighter memory timings, which will help your overall scores

4. The install seems to go smoother and the card runs better.

I have tested this BIOS on 2 5900 cards and it works great. With my OC'ed 2.8 and nice OC on the card, I was able to get almost 7K in 3DMark03 and slightly over 17K in 3DMark2001. Aquamark scores stayed around the same, but ran alot smoother than before.

5950U Guide and Files

*Download and install at your own risk!

It will work on a ASUS just fine. Unfortunately, you will lose your TV-in function if your card has that feature.

I could put together a Asus package if you would like to try it. I know the Gainward and LeadTek will work though.

Well...I took the plunge and flashed the BIOS on my eVGA5900SE.

Guess what? It worked!

I used Nuke's zip file and bios that he provided in his post above. Worked first try!

Now the bad news...lol. It booted up and read the 5950 bios fine, but it's set at 2x AGP and turned off Side Band Addressing and FastWrites. Using RivaTuner I was able to force SBA and FW to turn on, although I can't get the AGP to get back to 4x. I even use RivaTuner to read that diagnostic report it can read and it gives a basic readout of your some of your comps stats. It says I can run 1x, 2x, and 4x, but it's set at 2x...I know I can run at 4x, that's what I've run my GF3 on and the 5900SE on prior to the bios flash. It's stuck, I've tried a few things to try and get it set back to 4x but to no avail.

So the only prob I got so far is that its running at 2x AGP. However, current frequencies are set 470core and 900ram. Stock speeds on the 5900se are 400core and 700ram! 200mhz ram OC is pretty darn good if you ask me :) I made sure I turned down the clocks from the original speeds that the 5950 bios gave it. It started at 475core and 950ram. Didn't wanna kill it too fast.

I haven't finished OC'ing it yet, just thought I'd drop in and let you guys know that it worked. I ran it through one run of Aquamark3 and no hiccups or artifacts. My score didn't skyrocket from before, but I did notice my average fps was higher. The high vegatation test and the massive overdraw tests didn't bog my comp down as much as it did prior to the flash. I'll run it through a few runs of UT and Halo benchmarks to see if it hangs in there. In the past my 5900 would run fine at a certain speed through every benchmark and game, except for SWG...It would occasionally freeze on me. Once I crank down the core about 3-5mhz, SWG would be rock stable as well as all the other games I play. So if it survives a few hours of SWG later today, I'll start cranking up the core and see how far it'll go with the higher voltage.

I'm glad it worked. What board at you using with your setup? I haven't expierenced any problems like your describing, and I would like to add it to my guide on my site.

I'm glad I could help, sorry about about the slight problems. I'll help you work them out though.

Also: Your OC is awesome. Have you noticed any artifacting or anything? All of my cards seem to run smoother than the before, even at stock speeds. Do you think this too?

Edited by Nuclear

It's an Intel board...I know I know, not an OC'ers board, but I got this comp before I got into the whole OC'ing thing. Prolly going AMD next :blink:

It's a socket 423 D850GB Intel mobo. I've got the latest bios installed also if that's a help.

So far no hiccups or artifacting. I'm gonna try to squeeze it for some more performance later today prolly. If it runs stable in benchmarks like Halo's etc. I'll play a myriad of games and see how well it runs.

So far I've only tested Aquamark 3, haven't played anything yet, and overall performance has improved. Average fps is higher and it doesn't struggle as bad anymore in some Aquamark tests.

It's okay about the baord, I was wondering meerly for the sake of AGP compatibilty. The 5950U is meant to run on a AGP 4x/8x board, that's why I was wondering.

Once again...I'm glad to hear that your satified. I was hoping my package was easy for everyone to install, I think it is. Maybe this will encourage others to do the flash, it's more than worth it.