The rolltop

ClayMeow

why not link sections of pcb with cables?

:withstupid: that's what I was thinking too. It doesn't seem like you can just bend the device anywhere, so since there are clearly defined bend points, it shouldn't be hard to break up the pcb at those points, theoretically.

that's what I was thinking too. It doesn't seem like you can just bend the device anywhere, so since there are clearly defined bend points, it shouldn't be hard to break up the pcb at those points, theoretically.

I'm 99% sure that's not technically possible for different reasons (Signal noise and reliability comes to mind)

However... you don't even need a flexible PCB. A platform like Tegra is suitable for a tablet and can be built into a very small foot print :)

Ribbon cables.

Looking at those flex points they'd only need to be about an inch to an inch and a half in length per cable.

I'm reasonable sure it could be done.

Now to refer to the flexibly screen itself.

I wonder if any extensive testing has been done which kept the current flexible screens (all pretty much in alpha stage as far as I know) in a flexed state for a long period of time?

I know we've seen some preliminary design were the screens have visibly been flexed while displaying video but I wonder how they would combat issues derived from the device being kept in its flexed state for an extended period of time?