I can't believe this >:(

sack_patrol

So I was watching the news, and they were talking about the elections tonight n stuff, and there was some footage of the 3 ppl running for mayor. They can't speak English!!!!!! What the hell. Montreal is supposed to consider English and French equally. They do speak some english...but it's ridiculous how bad it is. If I were 18 years old and someone told me that he'd give me 200$ to vote for anyone I wouldn't do it. I kinda take this as an insult...to the english side of the province...I guess. If the leaders don't take both languages as equal...who does. It is a nice place to live though...lot's of stuff for the people...lot's of services (that I probably will never need, but appreciated), but I really hate that they don't acknowledge both languages as an equal.

If someone happens to say "if you don't like it, then move", I can answer right away to that. Yes I probably will move to Washington or Seattle when I start a job and save some money.

I could go on forever on this topic..although I don't wanna annoy everyone as u probably don't care, so thats it.

Edited by ballist1x

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal is supposed to consider English and French equally.

While I agree that any major politician in Quebec (make that Canada) should be fluent in both languages and I do find it ridiculous that those people can't handle two languages, french is clearly the dominant language in Quebec. In fact, french must always be the main, obvious language on any sign (by law).

Although it has gotten a lot better, Harper's french used to be horrible too...

What language you speak doesn't matter as long as you can do the job.

How can do you get your point across if you cannot communicate properly? In this case, it does matter.

Edited by Zertz

Ontario taxpayers get to pay for English and French road signs! As well as product labeling, subtitles, etc.

Not that I really care, but signs aren't bilingual everywhere and I could say the same thing about Quebec and English.

What language you speak doesn't matter as long as you can do the job.

I hope you know French very well, otherwise I call you an unequal voter in an equal city.

As a nation, Canada has two official languages: English and French. This shouldn't vary by province, as it's citizens also have the right to travel throughout the country.

Edited by ekiM

Not that I really care, but signs aren't bilingual everywhere and I could say the same thing about Quebec and English.

It's Ontario law that they are bilingual. I don't mind, as the cost is mintue in the grand scheme of things; I simply wish Quebec would do the same

Edited by ekiM

lol I didn't even vote yet, and there a tad more than an hour left... I'm waiting on a guy to come for selling some PC parts, so I think you will have the right to blame me on not doing my homework. Or... did you guys vote?

It's Ontario law that they are bilingual. I don't mind, as the cost is mintue in the grand scheme of thigns, I simply wish Quebec would do the same

They are as you get close to the border, but once you hit Kingston or is it Brockville, French is nowhere to be found beside a few communities here and there.

Local stores tend to have bilingual signs, but good luck finding English road signs in Quebec though...

I believe it, in the US we have a president who is not even a US citizen so things like that dont surprise me...

That's not bad, we used to have a Prime Minister that spoke poor English and French... :O