Plasma Vs LCD

Desktop-pro

What do you prefer?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Plasma or LCD

• Plasma
    • LCD

Plasma seems like an interesting technology, but I rather stick to good ol' LCD. Why bother changing something that works?

EDIT: Why do I keep typing Interest as intrest >.<

Edited by Jump4h

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for LCD's.

<_< for Plasmas.

+2 for OLED, gonna phase out LCD's and Plasma's. :D

are the oled out to the market ..:huh:..?

i haven't seen any ..

Edited by N.E.A

LCD's (don't plasma's have short set lifespans??) LCDs are getting better and better

Not sure of the life of LCD's(i am sure they are higher) but my panasonic plasma claims 100,000 hours till half brightness. Just like lcd's, plasma's are also getting better and better.

(don't plasma's have short set lifespans??) LCDs are getting better and better

Lifespan isn't even close to being an issue with any current sets (either LCD or plasma).

As good as LCDs have gotten even a decent plasma will look better.

Lifespan isn't even close to being an issue with any current sets (either LCD or plasma).

As good as LCDs have gotten even a decent plasma will look better.

Indeed, and wow plasma's are pretty affordable now! (which was my original beef with them)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

are the oled out to the market ..:huh:..?

i haven't seen any ..

Sony currently has the only OLED TV on the market. Its about 11 inches diagonally and its about 3mm thin where the arm doesn't attach. The only bad side it costs about 2500 USD and has 2 HDMI inputs, 1 cable and audio out.. as well as a memory stick slot. It can do 1080p over HDMI I believe, I think its cable resolution is less, but still 1080p on a screen that small is kind of worthless imo. Its the first to market but the lifespan is almost nill. They need to rework the blue diodes to have a longer life, currently they are only about 5 years on the blue so once thats out, its time to recycle the TV and get a new one. I've talked to various repair guys when I use to work at a TV store and they basically said its next to impossible to service the OLED TVs atm, so its best to recycle it and get a new one. Once they get the blue diodes working currently and matching the life cycle of the red or even green, then OLED is worth it. Currently, not really.

I've sold plenty of plasma TVs and I've sold even more LCD TVs, it just depends on what best suits you. For me, I have a big giant window in my living room that would reflect off the plasma's glass screen so I prefer the matte finish of LCD. Plus well, plasma's start at 42 inches and go up whereas LCD starts at about 3 inches and goes up, so I'm sticking with a set that is less than 40 inches because I don't need anything bigger for my room. 32 - 40 inches is perfect for me, I don't need or want anything larger like a plasma so I'm sticking with LCD.

Nope.

I don't understand the "crisper" comments about LCD. If you're sitting close enough to make out the pixel grid you're sitting WAY too close to really care about image quality anyway.

Laptop over HDMI for me was not as sharp on plasma as it was on LCD. And this was even on some premium plasma panels. To be able to use MSN/Word etc, you have to sit fairly close; you can't make out pixel pitch (:lol:) but LCD is sharper and easier to read. Photos/video it was a no contest - plasma hands down; but I got a very good compromised with the Samsung LE40A686 :) Reviews very highly indeed.

Zune HD's have OLED screens as well.. I love mine, it's B-E-A-utiful!!! As soon as OLED becomes practically priced for monitors I'm going to snatch me one :)

But LCD over Plasma any day

Yeah, the Zune HD has an OLED screen.. but we're talking about televisions, not a media player. Thats why I said Sony has the only OLED TV.. because they do. LG and Samsung are going to come out with ones eventually, just as soon as the blue diode lifespan is longer than 5 years. Thats the whole thing keeping OLED from being a common TV type, the blue diode just does not last as long as the green and red. The green is around 15-20 years and the red has an even longer life.. its just the blue that is so short. Once that blue goes out, there is barely anything that can be done to fix it aside from getting a brand new OLED screen.

Plasmas will almost always suffer from burn-in, its a symptom of the gas tubes they use. Sure, new ones can look great with their black levels and 600hz, but the gas tubes will still cause some minimal burn in after an extended period of time. That and the super reflective glass screen is . for sunlight or windows or lamps. I don't see the point of putting a gloss screen on LCD, sure the colors look good but the reflection they give makes them look bad, who needs to see yourself in the screen while you're watching football or playing a game.