Resume Stuff

d3bruts1d

I know there are people here far better at writing and stuff than I am. :P I need some help figuring out the best way to put my resume together. No, it's not a simple resume. :'( I've done the same job for years now, though because of changes in contracts I've been with 4 companies... my current company "promoted" me, which really means I do exactly the same thing I had been doing, but I'm in a different pay bracket. To further complicate things, I did some independent consultant work for a company that gets thrown into the mix and I'm working a different consultant job now. - Not even bringing OCC into this yet.

Basically the history is something like this...

Company 6 - Consultant Job 2 (Current)

Company 4 - Job Title 2 (Current)

Company 5 - Consultant Job 1

Company 4 - Job Title 1

Company 3 - Job Title 1

Company 2 - Job Title 1

Company 1 - Job Title 1

Should I repeat my responsibilities for each job, even though they are identical? Just list accomplishments? With that, company 2 was for only 3 months, and didn't really have any accomplishments/projects completed during that time. Just list each company / position, and put a note that says see current position?

There is nothing wrong with listing what you did with each position even though it was the same thing. Since each position is a separate work history it shows what the progression of your responsibilities are even if they are the same. It also means you put in the effort to list the responsibilities vs. just putting "Same" or something else! I have had to interview guys that did the same thing but with different companies and it is all usually listed.. Even if they worked for the same place twice at different times.

Just some thoughts

I try to summarise or concisely list the role responsibilities, and try to list one or two unique accomplishments or responsibilities...

They can't be *that* identical surely?

:withstupid: Maybe try to delve a little more into specifics to make them come across a little differently? I was sort of in a similar boat, in that I changed positions/titles at my current company a few years ago, however, my role did change, so it was easier for me to distinguish between the two. I'm on my work laptop now though, so I don't have my resume on here to show you :lol:

you are going to run into space issues. for some openings, resumes over 2 pages is strictly frowned on, however for other jobs, listing everything possible is necessary (like my dad. hes a journalist and putting everything published, worked on, etc. makes a 20 page list...but for me, a totally different profession, i might get away with 3 pages but they don't like that so i have to compact everything creatively.). i would go along with the others on this one. list the jobs, it shows a progression and you need that. don't leave some things out cause that shows gaps and inconsistencies. I would rather them ask about short jobs of 3 months instead of why you haven't worked in 3 months.

Edited by robAP

At my age (mid twenties :P ), it's frowned upon to have a resume longer than a page. I find I have to cut a lot of jobs that are irrelevant or put associated jobs together. You can probably put multiple job titles down with the same job description. If an interviewer wants to know more, they'll ask. :)

Mine's kinda like this:

Name, contact info

Objective (short term)

Education

Skills / competencies / training / etc

Experience (jobs)

Interests

You dont want gaps for sure! also a lot of short term employment looks bad as well (Job Hopping).

:withstupid: Agreed, however, you also don't have to list every job you've had your whole life. I'd say once you're about your 2nd job after college, you shouldn't list your pre-college jobs, nor the ones during college. If a company wants to know about them, they'll ask, but most likely they won't care. Same goes as you get later in your years. If you've been working 30 years, you don't have to list every job you've had over that time. Unless you really had/did something amazing in a job 30 years ago, don't bother...nobody wants to read three pages worth of job info.

PS. My last bit of advice, is proofread, proofread, and proofread. Even get someone else to look it over. My dad used to do some hiring and if there was even ONE typo, no matter how minor, the resume would go in the trash. Most likely, the employer will have tons of resumes to weed through, so they'll have no problem tossing resumes in the trash.

You dont want gaps for sure! also a lot of short term employment looks bad as well (Job Hopping).

Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, there was nothing I can do about it. :/

Company 4 - 44 months - Moved here after company 3 no longer want to be involved in the contract.

Company 3 - 13 months - Moved here because the prime contractor decided not to partner with previous company.

Company 2 - 4 months - Was moved here because Company 1 wasn't part of the prime IT contract.

Company 1 - 17 months

Unfortunately hardnrg, yes, they are identical. The only thing that changed, is the company name on my checks.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! :)