No budget multimedia gaming build

Viceroy

This build's ultimate purpose is to be used for mainly for gaming and multimedia downloading/burning/ripping/playback. I have stated that this build has no budget restrictions. This is true, however that is not to say that I am willing to spend excess amounts of money for hugely diminished returns on bleeding-edge merchandise. I am satisfied with the product that is currently at a great value but is not underpowered. For instance, my GPU of choice is the Radeon 5850. It is less powerful than the 5870, but also much less expensive. It is also slightly more expensive than a 4890, or 2x4870 CF'd, but also a much more solid and versatile performer. The perfect balance of power-pricing for me is the Radeon 5850.

---Potential purchases---

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

$97 taxed/shipped

Low latency and low voltage make up for its low speed, which can be easily overclocked. I will consider purchasing a second set if 4gb seems insufficient.

GPU - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5850

$265 taxed/shipped

ODD - HP Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 24X Multiformat DVD Writer

$35 taxed/shipped

This one does everything but Blu-ray. If you can find me a better one or a cheaper one, chime in.

$397 total

---Recently completed purchases---

***New*** Case - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

$98 taxed/shipped

PSU - ENERMAX ERV1050EWT Revolution85+ 1050W SLI/CrossFire Active PFC Modular 85 Plus Silver Certified Power Supply

$150 taxed/shipped

HDD - Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 32 MB Cache

$75 taxed/shipped

CPU - Intel Core i7 Processor i7-860 2.80GHz 8MB LGA1156 + Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 Socket 1156/ Intel P55/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE

$335 taxed/shipped

VDU - Dell UltraSharp U2410 24 inch 1920x1200 6ms 1000:1 HDMI/DVI/VGA/DisplayPort Widescreen LCD Monitor

$524 taxed/shipped

Really phat screen with badass features and picture. Demands high-power GPU so I can take advantage of its awesomeness.

Audio A - Altec Lansing BXR1121

$20.00 taxed/shipped

If you haven't heard these before then you are missing out. For the quality of sound I can't believe they only retail for about 25 dollars.

Moose - Razer Salmosa

$27.00 taxed/shipped

$1229 total

***New*** ---Optional purchases---

***New*** Mouse - My current mouse, the Razer Salmosa, is somewhat unsatisfactory to me. I bought it on the prerequisite that it would be ideal for fingertip gripping, when in fact the dynamics of the mouse seem more befitting a claw grip or even a palm, and this is just not what I wanted at all. If held with fingertips, the Salmosa buttons are too difficult to depress (due to being nearer to the butt end), the chassis shows marks very easily, and the mouse itself is just much too long to be effectively maneuvered like a fingertip mouse should be.

If you have any suggestions for mice that you think I would like, please let me know.

***New*** Keys - Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard

$50 taxed/shipped

Keyboard needs to have backlighting, or whatever it is called where a light comes on beneath the keys so they can be seen easier in a dark room. The keys must have space between them and must have noticeable depression (so no laptop keys). It absolutely must NOT have all the noobish bling like a dumb little LCD screen or 50 programmable buttons I'll never use. If you have any suggestions for boards you think I would like, or if you think the G11 is perfect for me, let me know.

***New*** HDD - I already have a 1tb drive listed in my completed purchases, but I am considering several options that would involve different/additional HDDs.

One would be purchasing a 10k RPM drive, particularly the Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive. Newegg is running a combo deal right now where they are throwing in a power supply along with the VR, and giving you 2 bucks just to take it off their hands. I have no use for that PSU on my machine, so I figure I could sell it on Ebay for about $70, thus bringing the practical price of a 300 GB WD VR down to $150. Another option would be to take identical drives and run them in RAID, but this would practically necessitate that I sell my current drive and buy faster ones (I am going for speed here, after all). Yet another option would be the one included in the following quote:

Another option is to buy a 32MB cache 1.0 or 1.5 TB drive ( $90 to $140 typically , Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 series in particular here ) and "short-stroke it" to only 300 ( or 700 ) GB, using the fastest part of the platters only ( restrict cylinders to only allow access to outer cylinders/tracks of the platters, so that the drive is forced to only r/w to the fastest parts of the platters ( the middle to outside of the platters, larger circumference of platter = higher data throughput there ), making inner portion of the platters inaccessible. Once you do this, the performance is on par with VelociRaptor ( even slightly better in certain benchmarks ) for about half the price of the VelociRaptor.

All of the options look tempting and viable to me. I thank you for any insight you can offer me in this matter.

That's it for the potential purchases for now. Please give me any opinions you have-no change is too small. I've spent a lot of time on this build because I want it to be as perfect as it can be, so please spare no detail. I am all-ears.

Thanks a bunch :)

~Viceroy Trepanation

Edited by Viceroy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU is good

Mobo-cpu combo i5 + ASUS P755D EVO

(Comes with dual ethernet, go for the PRO version)

GPU: I'd rather go for 5870 EDIT: Since 1 PCIe2.0 x16 would run at x8

RAM: lots of options, I don't find it worth the $$ to spend for a little OC headroom

GSkill Ripjaws 1333Mhz CL7

G Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz CL7

Mushkin 1600 cl7

OCZ Reaper 1600 CL7

HDD: OK, I prefer WD though

Case: Its your choice but I prefer CM 690 over your choice

PSU: Should be fine..

ODD: I think Samsungs, LGs and Optiarcs may be a little cheap.. doesnt mater though

That's about it, I guess!! All the best for the build..

Edited by nns

you can get msi p55-g65 or gigabyte p55-ud4/ud4p

these are great boards , sadly i do not know about asus p55 and with money that you will spare get 4890 ............:)

good luck.nice build by the way .................:)

Having had two 4870's in crossfire for going on 10 months now, I can safely say to you that you are NOT going to notice a performance hit from pcie x8. Since it's actually pcie 2.0, the speed is effectively pcie 1.0 x16.

Though one thing to consider is the inclusion of DX11 on the 5870.

Having had two 4870's in crossfire for going on 10 months now, I can safely say to you that you are NOT going to notice a performance hit from pcie x8. Since it's actually pcie 2.0, the speed is effectively pcie 1.0 x16.

Though one thing to consider is the inclusion of DX11 on the 5870.

You wouldn't get a difference in performance even at PCI-E 1.0 x8.

Performance of which cards would take a hit @ x8? I was under the impression that only the 4850-9800gt class of cards didn't take a hit..

EDIT: Never mind saw the 4870 Crossfire thread!!

Edited by nns