No budget multimedia gaming build

Viceroy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished giving the OP a revision. The possibility of an i5 CPU was scrapped, and due to popular user demand, I have allowed a return of the possibility of an i7 920/x58/tri-channel core system build possibility, albeit against my better judgement. Please see the points marked ***New*** for greater detail.

Thank you all very much for your help.

As always, I am open to criticism and correction, though it is my sincere belief that my comparison of the two potential builds is fair and profound. If anyone still chooses to advocate for the sake of the i7 920 build, then he will need to demonstrate the sanctity of his position with verifiable facts and graphs. Otherwise, I really have no choice than to trust the verifiable facts and graphs I've acquired thus far which support my decision to choose the i7 860/p55/dual-channel build.

Looks like you know what you want already :)

Edited by damian

I have been considering replacing my current motherboard selection with the EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard. It is $184 taxed/shipped, which is only 20 dollars more than my current mobo. This one looks to be of higher quality and more feature-rich, though my perspective on motherboards is somewhat limited and I ask for your insight.

Also, I found an Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2C1 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk for $220 taxed/shipped, and at that price I am highly considering implementing it into my overall build. What are your thoughts?

As for the mobo see some reviews online, though EVGAs are usually pretty good, some have been found to be of lower quality.. This one seems good..

SSDs are a real good addition, you can load it with the OS + Games and important programs.. I don't know much about the numerous types available now.. look at the sustained transfer rates before deciding..

One comparison

Edited by nns

I just purchased my CPU and motherboard, changed my ODD of choice, and updated the OP accordingly. I decided to commit to the i7 860 and subsequent compatible motherboard/RAM, so the rest of this build should fall into place pretty easily.

Final purchases are planned to be made in the next few days if possible.