AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU Tested

Nemo

Yeah but what? With a decent video card (and typical settings) he's going to be GPU limited 95% of the time anyway...

You're over-exaggerating the differences between these CPUs. OCC got a bum one, it happens.

It's still faster than any of the old Phenom I CPUs and it's faster than many of the lower end Intel quads.

5% performance here and there isn't enough to make it a "crappy" CPU. I'd take one of these over pretty much any dual core...

I guess I'll go have a look at a few other reviews before I say anymore if will make you all feel better :thumbs-up:.

I was working all day so could only check this thread and didn't have time to check the other reviews

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a promising chip to me, I've been thinking about getting one for my older am2+ dfi board. The nice thing about the athlon ii x2's and the phe x3 is the unlockable core(s). Could easily turn it into a black edition quad for cheap and pwn this cpu with ACC/ proper BIOS/etc.

also the L3 cache could possibly be unlocked on this CPU, and might not be defective. this is OVERCLOCKERSclub after all. I'd like to see how it does if it unlocks :smack:

nice step up for people with < quad cores. wouldn't be a bad multitasker either.

Edited by RHKCommander959

Looks like a promising chip to me, I've been thinking about getting one for my older am2+ dfi board. The nice thing about the athlon ii x2's and the phe x3 is the unlockable core(s). Could easily turn it into a black edition quad for cheap and pwn this cpu with ACC/ proper BIOS/etc.

also the L3 cache could possibly be unlocked on this CPU, and might not be defective. this is OVERCLOCKERSclub after all. I'd like to see how it does if it unlocks :smack:

nice step up for people with < quad cores. wouldn't be a bad multitasker either.

We were told that only part of the Athlon II X4s are manufactured on the Deneb core with the whole L3 disabled. Most of them are manufactured on the new Propus core, which is only 169mm^2 & 300M transistors instead, as pointed out by Alan in his review. For comparison, the Deneb core makes up for 758M transistors and 258mm^2, as stated here. (Looking at these specs, the Athlon II X4 Propus must be much cheaper to manufacture.)

That means before thinking of unlocking the cache, you must make sure to get one manufactured on the Deneb core.

Edited by The Smith

We were told that only part of the Athlon II X4s are manufactured on the Deneb core with the whole L3 disabled. Most of them are manufactured on the new Propus core, which is only 169mm^2 & 300M transistors instead, as pointed out by Alan in his review. For comparison, the Deneb core makes up for 758M transistors and 258mm^2, as stated here. (Looking at these specs, the Athlon II X4 Propus must be much cheaper to manufacture.)

That means before thinking of unlocking the cache, you must make sure to get one manufactured on the Deneb core.

The Propus core will run cooler and likely clock higher though...so it's a trade-off depending on which one you get.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ajmatson
nice review.. about the motherboard that you used, is that the rev. 1.0? is that compatible with ddr3 memory?

Yes it was revision 1.0 with a 4GB set of Corsair XHS3 DHX DDR3-1600MHz memory.

• 1 month later...

Hard to Overclick this CPU? I think not m8 :-)

I have an Athlon II X4 620 slapped on to an XFX 750a motherboard and I overclocked it as soon as i fired up the machine using _multiplyer_ only. Its a breeze overclocking this little baby.