AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU Tested

Nemo

People have issues with my thoughts because I don't "go with the flow"(In this case, I don't go, omfg Intel = <3)

Look at the review, then read my post, then come back. You will see I have evidence behind my thought, but we can all just read a post, not look a the review and then attack me for posting that a CPU has the ability to beat an i5

Well you do have an intel rig after all. There are way too many ppl who argue one way or the other blindly, or stuck on one brand or the other. Really, man there is not much of a difference a lot of the times, with modern cpus, as it is only measurable with benchmarks and stop watches. In the middle they all "feel" the same and can fool even experienced users if they arent told or dont look, this is with games and everyday task, you just cant tell at all without really breaking down and benchmarking what the system has under the hood. This Athlon 2 is on the far side of the spectrum. The far wrong side to be on. Its pushing it.

Why buy a quad when you are just interested in gaming? Just get a cheap dual core.

I still hear a lot of people saying this, and i although I dont dissagree....

I really think that a 3 core system would be make a great gaming choice now, i mean over a 2core. There are more and more multithreaded games coming out. one after the other. On games like gta4, a 3 core system does very well, nearly as good as a 4 core, where a 2 core system is struggling. Many ppl will claim its a bad port, but the xbox 360 has a 3 core CPU. The more the 360 is pushed to the limits, the more a dual core cpu is gonna struggle on the Xbox ports, Not only in ports cases either. As developers push more and more limits, they are still gonna want to at make their games at least play able on dualcores for sometime to go. As these multithreaded games are struggling to play on dual cores the triple core will have no problems keeping pace.

Some may not agree, but i really feel a triple core system is they way to go for gaming, as it will carry further as the games go more and more multi threaded.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well If I didn't know any better it looks like Amd and Intel are at it again.....

I will agree with one thing that Ccokeman said (I use that losly Because i didn't take the time to read everything) If you have the money for an I5 get it. I think that Intel manufactures great chips and all but they are always a little on the pricy side for me. when the I7 came to be it was a 1500 usd chip that could blow basicly anything else away. But I would perfer a Phenom II 940 BLK just for the simple fact It costs less. and its a performer good enough for the price.

Well If I didn't know any better it looks like Amd and Intel are at it again.....

I will agree with one thing that Ccokeman said (I use that losly Because i didn't take the time to read everything) If you have the money for an I5 get it. I think that Intel manufactures great chips and all but they are always a little on the pricy side for me. when the I7 came to be it was a 1500 usd chip that could blow basicly anything else away. But I would perfer a Phenom II 940 BLK just for the simple fact It costs less. and its a performer good enough for the price.

yep, The i5 put a real shiner on AMDs face! It is sweat, and even at its starting price its not shabby. Not at all!

We all know the i5 bad boys are gonna go down in price, I bet before the yr end. And I also bet intels fabrication is more cost efficient then AMDs.

Really a lot of ppl forget the large gains just from turbo. Its really pure genus. AMD has got a lot of catching up to do. And to tell you the truth I bet you Intel is just holding back.

yep, The i5 put a real shiner on AMDs face! It is sweat, and even at its starting price its not shabby. Not at all!

We all know the i5 bad boys are gonna go down in price, I bet before the yr end. And I also bet intels fabrication is more cost efficient then AMDs.

Really a lot of ppl forget the large gains just from turbo. Its really pure genus. AMD has got a lot of catching up to do. And to tell you the truth I bet you Intel is just holding back.

I agree, the Phenom II's just barely made the minimum for pressuring Intel to release the I5's, if AMD was to release only clunkers like the 620 than intel would just sit on their i7's and laugh from the throne :lol:

heck they could even sit on top of their core 2's, phenom II's offered enough performance for the dollar that people would rather have than an intel.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I agree, the Phenom II's just barely made the minimum for pressuring Intel to release the I5's, if AMD was to release only clunkers like the 620 than intel would just sit on their i7's and laugh from the throne :lol:

heck they could even sit on top of their core 2's, phenom II's offered enough performance for the dollar that people would rather have than an intel.

Well I thought a lot about why intel went the i5 route instead of continuing the core2 route in their Q9XXX series. I mean really the phenom2s never passed the Q9650, They barely touched it standing on their tip toes and jumping. The core2 still had another couple bad as mofo chips not many ppl could afford, the QX9750 and the QX9770. All intel had to do was drop the prices on them and AMD would have struggled another yr trying to top those. But instead intel dropped the socket and went the i5 route.

At first I thought it was just another rip off move that forces ppl into another socket, with everyone who wanted an upgrade over the q9650 having to invest in a whole new set up, while intel makes mega $$$ because all i5 motherboards have to be intel chipsets because intel cut out all other possibilities. You see with no nvidia chipsets, for every i5 cpu sold intel is guaranteed the motherboard doe to. Which is like 2 for 1. And i thought this was the big reason they would go i5, abandoning the q9750 and up for the masses wouldnt have that upgrade route.

So that kinda made me angry a bit as i felt the consumer was just being strong armed and intel wins twice. But then after seeing how it all works, I kinda get the strategy, or what ever we call it. You see it is true we are forced into a new socket and intel wins twice, but that wasnt the only reason intel pulled out the rug from us. The i5 will save intel a lot of money over the core2 in the manufacturing side of things. Its a much more cost effective design, which i was totally overlooking. This is why intel didnt drop prices of the Q9750/Q9770 and let them fly off the shelf. BTW: I dont even think they are making them at all or have been in awhile.

So I can accept this alright but you have to admit it wouldve been nice to have some core2 revenge on the PH2s with the QX9750/9770 becoming reasonably priced for the mainstream and still socket 775. That wouldve been great, man it wouldve. I bet you wont see the i5 walking all over those core2 quads!! huh!

But really I think intel is going in the right direction, maybe we all wont be gettin the QX97XX but really intel hit a homerun with these small and amassing changes lately. I mean, clock per clock with hyperthreading/turbo off the i7s arent much improvement over their old architecture. But who wouldve thought hyperthreading would be so effective, I thought it was some kinda gimmick back in the P4 days. Well not really but you know my P4 with hyperthreading just wasnt impressive.

I think this turbo is pure genius. I mean that by itself gives the i5 a big jump on a lot of benchmarks. You see now we cant really go by the CPU mhz. We really got to go by model numbers. their 2.6ghz cpu goes all the way up to 3.2ghz, all by itself. I mean thats genius, what a boost. AMD couldve been doin that, but they are way behind. That had to take a while to develop to properly work, and it does very well especially some occasions. And its gonna get better and better. It is actually something i never thought I would see in a cpu. When i first heard of it i thought what ever, but its gonna be the future, and its really smart.

I do think it was a bad thing that intel booted nvidia from their chipset business. In the end i see it as bad for the consumer. I really always enjoyed the extreme possibilities in PC, from way back in the day. I kinda wish that didnt happen because thats not the direction we want to see the PC go in. trust me its bad!!

aka a good processor this chip bites the big one, low price or not. x2 550 FTW

You're kidding right?

The X4 620 will walk all over a dual core in anything that's actually threaded (AKA the things this one "sucks" at...but a dual would suck far more). :lol:

You're kidding right?

The X4 620 will walk all over a dual core in anything that's actually threaded (AKA the things this one "sucks" at...but a dual would suck far more). :lol:

well then the x3 720 than in that case (which does indeed make the 620 victorious in price).... but I meant in it's defense of being a good gamer, the clock speeds of a good dual core will be of much more use than the lack there of with the 620.

If one were to get the benefit of a quad core, then why not get one that actually works hard??

I could see if this had 6 or 8 cores that were mediocre, but since you can get much better dual, triple, and quad core processors that do more with each core. Price just cannot replace quality, I just cannot acknowledge this processor and I don't know why I resent it so much. But even a hardcore frugal person like myself see's no reason to get one of these, I'd rather get an old quad off of ebay than a new one of these. Search high and low for a Q6600/Q9450 or a decent Phenom I quad long before I'd add the 620 to my vocabulary a Q6600 or a good Phenom I quad

Edited by IVIYTH0S

OEMs should like it. Allows them to market a quad-core system at the price of a dual

yeah that's what I'm afraid of....my friend was like "LOOK I CAN GET A QUAD CORE SYSTEM FOR $500".....I was like "Yeah but it's a Q8200" lol

Search high and low for a Q6600/Q9450 or a decent Phenom I quad long before I'd add the 620 to my vocabulary a Q6600 or a good Phenom I quad

i didnt have a problem with your post IVI until that last statement. I think your overlooking the fact that the 620 CAN be overclocked, even though its not a BE. It performs better at stock than a Phenom I and it can be clocked MUCH higher than the first generation Phenoms as you know.

EDIT: and this statement

If one were to get the benefit of a quad core, then why not get one that actually works hard??
Edited by ShallowBay

i didnt have a problem with your post IVI until that last statement. I think your overlooking the fact that the 620 CAN be overclocked, even though its not a BE. It performs better at stock than a Phenom I and it can be clocked MUCH higher than the first generation Phenoms as you know.

EDIT: and this statement

it only got to 3.1ghz right??

yeah that's what I'm afraid of....my friend was like "LOOK I CAN GET A QUAD CORE SYSTEM FOR $500".....I was like "Yeah but it's a Q8200" lol

Yeah but what? With a decent video card (and typical settings) he's going to be GPU limited 95% of the time anyway...

it only got to 3.1ghz right??

You're over-exaggerating the differences between these CPUs. OCC got a bum one, it happens.

It's still faster than any of the old Phenom I CPUs and it's faster than many of the lower end Intel quads.

5% performance here and there isn't enough to make it a "crappy" CPU. I'd take one of these over pretty much any dual core...

Edited by Waco