phenomII 995 vs core 2 quad Q9550

ive been kicking around the idea of getting a new processor and mobo. right now i would consider myself a "AMD" guy but i think both companies have there perks and drive each other to be better.. but i def want a quadcore and im kinda on a budget and ive been considering the phenomII995 and the core2Quad Q9550.. ive really been leaning twords intel because i think it would be faster over all even with a lower clock speed.. when i first got the chip i wouldnt be overclock except maybe clocking the intel to 3.0ghz~ so in gaming which one would win the race? (i did mean 955 lol sometimes i can type sometimes i cant)

Edited by actionstan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The q9550 will not fit in your motherboard, will it? If you are looking to drop in a cpu then your only option is a phenom2 setup. There is no reason to buy a whole intel setup when you can so easily drop in a phenom2 955 BE in your current setup, and then be done with it. Its the most reasonable thing to do.

The 965 just owns the Q9550. The 955 already does so...

Of course if your GPU is the bottleneck, you won't see any difference between the two, since the Q9550 is still a powerful CPU.

and by extension the 940, since they all can clock pretty much the same anyway and thats the cheapest

The q9550 will not fit in your motherboard, will it? If you are looking to drop in a cpu then your only option is a phenom2 setup. There is no reason to buy a whole intel setup when you can so easily drop in a phenom2 955 BE in your current setup, and then be done with it. Its the most reasonable thing to do.

lol and ironically he could get a new amd board and phenom II and still have it cheaper than the Q9550 build :lol:

I vote getting the 940 if you can find one!!

and by extension the 940, since they all can clock pretty much the same anyway and thats the cheapest

lol and ironically he could get a new amd board and phenom II and still have it cheaper than the Q9550 build :lol:

I vote getting the 940 if you can find one!!

Absolutely, that will work fine. But right now the 955 is about 5 bucks more then the 955 and most people havent noticed it yet. I would really recommend the 945 as all PH2s pretty much top out in same and in is like 20 bucks cheaper. The down side is the locked processor and his xfx motherboard I would be afraid to recommend it to him. I am incline to say if he dropped his ram speed like to ddr667 or ddr533 and drove up the cpu speed ("fsb") it shouldnt give him any trouble in OCing. As most of the voltage will remain the same. Depending on how far he wanted to go, all the 945s I messed with easily hit ~3.4 with out a bump in vcore. Actually I have upgraded a few nvidia am2+ boards to Phenom2s and really havent had issues with OCing them for everyday use, even to 3.6ghz on some cases, depending on the demand. One board was on a HP, with no OCing options. We used the forgotten ntune app from Nvidia, I was very surprised by the results with this simple software OCing tool on the phenom2s. Man, they are just very easily OCing chips, They run so well overclocked it almost as if they were meant to be running those speeds. I wouldnt waste my money on the 965 though, its really the wafer so you end up with less potential as you start off alread 200mhz higher. Just about all phenom 2s run ~3.6ghz no sweat, even on stock coolers. Most top out 3.85 to 3.95 on aftermarket air coolers... Water doesnt give much more past 4.0 with them. So Your best bargain is the lowest clocked stock phenom 2, because they all top out in the same range anyway. They are all from the same wafers.

Edited by ocre

I wouldnt waste my money on the 965 though, its really the wafer so you end up with less potential as you start off alread 200mhz higher. Just about all phenom 2s run ~3.6ghz no sweat, even on stock coolers. Most too out 3.85 to 3.95 on aftermarket air coolers... Water doesnt give much more past 4.0 with them. So Your best bargain is the lowest clocked stock phenom 2, because they all top out in the same range anyway. They are all from the same wafers.

Precisely, that's the 940 is my fave.

i say at this point if you are not going with i7 or the upcoming i5 then the phenom ii cpus are better than c2q ,lga775 <_< i think no one should buy it again unless he is changing the cpu or the board or whatever reason that does not include buying a whole new system

phenom ii are the best right now i am getting one for the next build ... good luck ..:)

but i think you should wait and see what i5 is gonna do....