5870 price range

N.E.A

I'm not sure I see them starting to drop the price until nvidia has a card to counter it with. As it stands now it's the most powerful single GPU on the market. If it were nvidia they would charge $600-$800 as they did in the past.

They only charged that much because GT200 was freaking huge and cost a lot to manufacture.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure I see them starting to drop the price until nvidia has a card to counter it with. As it stands now it's the most powerful single GPU on the market. If it were nvidia they would charge $600-$800 as they did in the past.

Well, the way I see it AMD won't launch the 5970 for more than $600. So they might cut the 5870 to $300 and launch the 5970 at $550 to capture more market share.

I could be wrong. And if I am, no harm done, I'll still get the 5870. NDA supposedly drops on the 5970/5870x2/whatever October 23rd, so I can wait a little over a week and see what prices are like. If there is no price drop, then no loss. Personally I suspect they will release 5870 2GBs at the same time as 5970, so prices on 5870 1GBs will drop.

I hadn't even thought about a 5870 2GB for a while. Good points. I think the 5870 coming down to the $300 range is more appropriate IMHO. Launch prices are usually higher so hopefully they will drop eventually.

Yeah... my thoughts exactly. The 5870 should come down to around $300 with the 2 gig version around $50 more, and the x2 variety about twice the price of the 1Gb version. We'll see though... Obviously I have no insider info :P I just can't imagine AMD giving up this option for grabbing a HUGE market share by dropping prices just a little. As it stands they are making tons on the 5870s... if they cut the price and brought in the $200 range people with the 5850 and the $300 range with the 5870 they might even pull ahead in market share. The dies are small, so I see no risk of them hitting a wall like nVidia did with GT200.

they better lower the prices of the 57XX's atleast. they are not worth the money IMHO $20 off each one would make them appropriately priced. I was really disappointed by the junipers. I am hoping that 5970 will only cost $500 max as to really shoot the 295 down from there.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

I looked back through my newegg order history and saw that I paid $250 for the 4870 512MB card when it launched. They were selling for around $145-$160 last time I checked. You just have to pay more for the cards when they first launch. I'm sure they will drop down quite a bit in a few months. $20 isn't much to split hairs over right now when the full lineup has yet to launch(refering to the 5870x2). IVI I fully expect you to be sitting atop a pile of gold coins while clipping coupons in your old age. I hope I live long enough to see it.

I looked back through my newegg order history and saw that I paid $250 for the 4870 512MB card when it launched. They were selling for around $145-$160 last time I checked. You just have to pay more for the cards when they first launch. I'm sure they will drop down quite a bit in a few months. $20 isn't much to split hairs over right now when the full lineup has yet to launch(refering to the 5870x2). IVI I fully expect you to be sitting atop a pile of gold coins while clipping coupons in your old age. I hope I live long enough to see it.

I paid $220 for my 260 after a 30 dollar rebate from TigerDirect. and I think I paid about the same price for my old 4870 512MB as you did.

as for your image of me in the future, it'll happen :lol:.

as for your image of me in the future, it'll happen :lol:.

For your sake I hope that it does come true.

These early adopter price premiums can be a real classy lady. Although I really wish I hadn't waited so long to build an i7 rig. The output this CPU does on a daily basis is astounding. Thinking back I could of had an i7 rig about 10 months earlier. I would have had a CO stepping and a P6T motherboard but that would have been OK.

I don't begrudge the current prices though as I know to expect the high premium price at launch. I still feel I got good value for what I paid for these 5870s. Maybe not the absolute best value but it wasn't unfair. I paid what I paid but I'm satisfied and I'm sure AMD took my money with great satisfaction. That's a good deal when both parties walk away from a deal happy in my book.

For your sake I hope that it does come true.

These early adopter price premiums can be a real classy lady. Although I really wish I hadn't waited so long to build an i7 rig. The output this CPU does on a daily basis is astounding. Thinking back I could of had an i7 rig about 10 months earlier. I would have had a CO stepping and a P6T motherboard but that would have been OK.

I don't begrudge the current prices though as I know to expect the high premium price at launch. I still feel I got good value for what I paid for these 5870s. Maybe not the absolute best value but it wasn't unfair. I paid what I paid but I'm satisfied and I'm sure AMD took my money with great satisfaction. That's a good deal when both parties walk away from a deal happy in my book.

Think about it this way, the 295 still costs $500. I wouldn't feel bad at all. (Though I still am let down by the Junipers, I thought the 5770 would be 4890/275 strength)

and you're saying you would rather have the C0 instead of the D0 i7?? I'm confused.

Edited by IVIYTH0S