PS3 Slim is Official

bp9801

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the PS3 slim isn't just a cosmetic change, the Cell processor is now 45nm according to this article.

Koller identified three key tech changes in the new slim: the system's Cell processor has decreased from 65 nanometers to 45. A new cooling system is in place. And there's a new power draw. The result is something that Koller said is more cost-efficient for Sony to produce. He would not say whether Sony is making money or losing money selling the new unit. Often, console manufacturers lose money on gaming hardware, with the intent of recouping revenue through software sales.

Wasn't like Sony really supported it. They locked people out of the video card on the PS3. Although you could install other useful utility OS like to rip blu-ray movies. :D This was before Blu-ray drives got cheap.

Wish someone would write an OS for the PS3 for media center. The sorting layout of media files on the PS3 blows :(.

Edited by Krazyxazn

Why would you want to?

Why would you want to install Linux or Windows? Same reasons you install the OS on your computer. So you can do stuff. :P Run other games, emulators, and homebrew apps, use a better web browser than the PS3 browser, additional media apps, and so on...

• 2 weeks later...

Still have yet to sell me a reason why I should buy one. Too few decent exclusives to warrant me buying another console. Heck Xbox 360 doesn't even have that many decent exclusives either which is why I don't own one of my own and why I'll probably stick with a PC for the rest of forever.

Still have yet to sell me a reason why I should buy one. Too few decent exclusives to warrant me buying another console. Heck Xbox 360 doesn't even have that many decent exclusives either which is why I don't own one of my own and why I'll probably stick with a PC for the rest of forever.

:withstupid: Same boat here. IF I were to choose one, it'd be the PS3 since it has more exlusives (most 360 games come to the PC eventually, if not right away), but the PC offers more good games than I can even play, so why bother with another platform?

GT fanboy here.

Most likely the only reason I'll end up getting a PS3 is Gran Turismo 5.

Even if that game sucks I AM still going to play it because GT is awesome and I'm set in my ways...