8800GTS Just Quit

Just surfing the web and my main monitor goes black (still getting signal apparently). My secondary (which is connected to a cheap 8400) works just fine. Tried changing ports and nothing. The monitor is fine as it works on another computer and on that video card.

Shut down the computer, connect the other monitor to the 8800 and nothing. Turn the computer on with the main monitor hooked to the 8400 and voila... works until I jump into windows. The key thing here is that this should not happen as the main monitor (or any monitor for that matter) must be run off the main PCI-E slot (the 8800) otherwise it'll throw up a POST error... but here I am with this first screen.

Uninstalled the drivers to see if it were a software issue and reboot... whaddya you know... it throws that the primary monitor/gpu is hooked up to a secondary PCI-E slot. So I switch them around and reinstall the drivers... 8400 works fine - the 8800 (I'm assuming) shows up as an uninstalled 3d device that cannot be installed manually (2nd screen). What the heck?

I'm at a loss now... is the 8800 dead or what? I wish I had another PCI-E system to test this on... Any suggestions?

Just surfing the web and my main monitor goes black (still getting signal apparently). My secondary (which is connected to a cheap 8400) works just fine. Tried changing ports and nothing. The monitor is fine as it works on another computer and on that video card.

Shut down the computer, connect the other monitor to the 8800 and nothing. Turn the computer on with the main monitor hooked to the 8400 and voila... works until I jump into windows. The key thing here is that this should not happen as the main monitor (or any monitor for that matter) must be run off the main PCI-E slot (the 8800) otherwise it'll throw up a POST error... but here I am with this first screen.

Uninstalled the drivers to see if it were a software issue and reboot... whaddya you know... it throws that the primary monitor/gpu is hooked up to a secondary PCI-E slot. So I switch them around and reinstall the drivers... 8400 works fine - the 8800 (I'm assuming) shows up as an uninstalled 3d device that cannot be installed manually (2nd screen). What the heck?

I'm at a loss now... is the 8800 dead or what? I wish I had another PCI-E system to test this on... Any suggestions?

Cook it

EVGA RMA = win, you'll most likely be getting a 9800GT / 9800GTX+ or something along those lines, maybe a GTS250.

Really? When I RMA'ed my EVGA 680i, I had NOTHING but trouble with them. First of all they where not in when the box arrived, then refused to accept they hadn't. Till eventually the box came back to me, and I then re-sent it again for them to finally accept that I had not sent it to the wrong address. (Still said on the box "uncollected") Even then, they just sent me another 680i. Considering I did not have a board for over 7 weeks, and the amount of times I had to chase them, I was expecting them to send me at least a 780i. But no, they didn't even send me one in the orignal box which I had sent. Meaning its re-sale value dropped even further.

So even though I keep hearing all these stories of people getting great results from an EVGA RMA, I cant say I shared that experience.

But still, RMA the card. Worst thats gonna happen is that you will be without card for 6 weeks, and then get the same card back. Still better than what you have now ;)

Just RMA it... you'll probably get a 8800GTX or 9800GTX+ as a replacement

Yeah I never registered it at evga. So, the liftetime warranty became one year from date of purchase - which would've expired Dec of 07. That and the lame serial number sticker fell off awhile back.

But yeah, I've rma'd my 680i twice with them without a hitch pretty quickly. Oh well...

EDIT: Also confirmed it dead - another machine won't POST with it.