TF2 Sniper vs. Spy Update

ClayMeow

For those of you that have played TF2 since the Sniper vs. Spy Update (launched Thursday), I was wondering your thoughts?

I think the for the most part, the update is good. I played Pipeline (the payload race map), and it's frantic, intense fun.

Unfortunately, I think they ruined "unlockables" by making them random drops instead of achievement-based. For those that didn't read the release notes, you no longer get unlockables for attaining achievement "milestones". Instead, you gain new items randomly, in the beginning of rounds. Theoretically, the more you play, the more likely you are to get an item. The reason for the change is so noobs don't feel left out, but I don't think this method really achieves that. For one, all previously earned items are retained...as such, I have all unlockables for the previous classes (pyro, medic, heavy & scout). For someone new to the game, they can't "catch up" to me by doing achievements...no, now they have to just be patient and hope they randomly get what they want.

In addition, it gives little incentive to do the achievements. Bragging rights? Please :rolleyes:. I played for 4 hours yesterday and wound up getting four "loot drops"...three of them I already owned...the only one I didn't was The Ambassador. Sure, it was fun using it for my Spy, and God knows I wouldn't have gotten it so soon if it was still achievement-based, but I still would have rather EARNED IT.

I'm just wondering if the reason for the change was truly to help noobs, or rather if it was because they couldn't think of enough achievements for the Sniper and Spy using the original items? I didn't do the math, but browsing the achievements, it didn't seem like there were enough semi-easily-doable achievements not involving any of the new items.

Anywho, that's all I can comment on at this point. I haven't played the other two maps, nor have I obtained any Sniper items (or the other Spy items). Like I said, I think overall the update is good, but I think they ruined the "loot" system and made achievements pretty pointless.

PS. I should mention that they also made some "fixes" to the Spy class, which I feel make the class a little better to play (eg. disguising as a medic now gives you a (fake) ubercharge bar).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The update has been very good so far.

However, just like you, I have a huge gripe with the new unlock system. First of all, it doesn't help casual gamers because casual gamers do not play often and won't be getting a high chance with acquiring items under this new system. Another reason I hate this is because I have 12 spy achievements, no new weapons for him, but I have 3 Force-A-Natures. It would have been amazing if they kept both systems in place, allowing a lucky few to pull ahead while the skilled players can crunch their achievements and get rewards. I don't think the achievements even have a point anymore!

I really want Valve to change this, but I know they won't.

:(

I honestly hate the new unlocking system. I won 3 unlocks, but all 3 that I already had. I did however get to see someone with a Hat unlock. Just a few minutes ago I was playing with this Heavy who had an old school football helmet on. Looked pretty funny with his big grin.

The thing that upset me the most about the update was the class icons on the score board. How hard was it to look at the first few letters next to everyones name? The icons are much more difficult to glance through in my opinion.

As far as the unlock system goes, I don't really have a problem with it. I was never one to "farm" achievements and I just get them as I go. As a plus, I got 2/3 of the new scout items without ever playing scout.

I have also seen a demoman rocking an afro and a medic with a WWI style battle helmet.

I'm not one to farm achievements...but, spy and sniper are two of my favorite classes to play, some of these just come naturally. Plus, you are aware of what they are, so you can go out of your way to say...backstab a medic and the person s/he's healing. *achievement sound*

I kinda wish there were more achievements...or at least some had higher tally counts. 5 no scopes...pffft. Why not 25 or 50?

I don't really mind the way the system is changing to, it just feels like it really needs to be tweaked

Oh, and jarate is awesome. Can't wait for the huntsman. However, I don't know when that'll be. <_<

Edited by Crazy_Nate

Update-wise, or unlock-wise?

A little of both i guess. It being an update, i expect to get the weapons as soon as possible. They added a few things but my main focus were the additional weapons and since i dont have them, and probably wont get them anytime soon the games no different to me as it was before.

Edited by damian

Man, compared to all of you guys I got lucky! Jarate, the Huntsman, Dead Ringer, and the Pyro's Beanie all in one day. I still want that damn Ambassador though...

A little of both i guess. It being an update, i expect to get the weapons as soon as possible. They added a few things but my main focus were the additional weapons and since i dont have them, and probably wont get them anytime soon the games no different to me as it was before.

Find a server playing pipeline. It's really a lot of fun.

Man, compared to all of you guys I got lucky! Jarate, the Huntsman, Dead Ringer, and the Pyro's Beanie all in one day. I still want that damn Ambassador though...

Ambassador is fun, though it's not nearly as powerful as I thought it'd be. Seems to take 3 headshots to take players down (and yes, I know they're headshots because when you hs with the Ambassador, you see yellow text that says "Mini Crit").