New rig, looking to save a little $

a.du.fink

So I'm looking to build a new computer and I've got a setup in mind.

-Antec 1200

-PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W

- EDIT - ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm LGA 1366

- Intel i7 920 (Thank you kindly Nuclear)

- EDIT - OCZ Gold 6GB 1600

- EDIT - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

-EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition

- EDIT - Microsoft Vista Home 64-bit

-LG L227WTG-PF Black 22" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

- EDIT - LG 22X DVD

Edited by a.du.fink

wait till the amd 955 is released? It is suppossed to compete with the i7 920, but it's due out this week so we'll know for sure then. I'm sure OCC has one and is itching to let us all know :D

Also, you may not need Vista Ultimate, home premium is a good alternative.

Edited by redtigerdragon

you'll save $20 buying the regular EVGA GTX 275 over the Superclocked edition. you should be able to OC that card to Superclocked speeds on your own, while asleep, with your hands tied to your feet. upside down.

EDIT - that's a nice looking build there, btw. :thumbs-up:

1. Buy this i7 from a reputable member here. It hit 4.45GHz under water cooling.

2. Buy the standard edition of the graphics card and overclock youself.

3. Buy DDR3 1600 and overclock it yourself, you probably won't even notice a difference if you don't overclock it. (I don't notice a difference between my laptop's DDR2 667 and my desktop's DDR2 1066, that may just be me though).

4. Get a 7,200 RPM drive unless you have a true need for the SSD.

5. Use Vista Home Premium unless you have a true need for the features in Ultimate.

6. Don't get more than you truly need.

7. Scour the web for sales and rebates.

Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12P or a TRUE.

That's a sweet build by the way.

4. Get a 7,200 RPM drive unless you have a true need for the SSD.

What difference can I expect between 7200, 10000, and SSD?

I went with the Superclocked edition because Newegg has a deal right now that makes it cheaper than the regular edition.

What difference can I expect between 7200, 10000, and SSD?

I went with the Superclocked edition because Newegg has a deal right now that makes it cheaper than the regular edition.

OK, sounds good if the Superclocked is cheaper, then obviously get that one.

As for the storage, an SSD will definitely be fastest, but what do you plan to do with this rig? Do you really need the speed gain for the extra price? 7,200 drives have great GB/$ ratios, SSDs do not. 10,000 drives just aren't worth it anymore with SSDs available. They're right around 7,200 performance levels for slightly less than SSDs, not a good position. Plus they make a racket and lots of heat.

Summary: If you NEED the speed increase offered by an SSD, by all means get it, but if not, 7,200 drive will suffice just fine. If you're doing lots of media work, then the SSD may be nice, otherwise, a 7,200 could save money and provide more space.

Ok, 7200 sounds like all I will really need. Any suggestions on a Brand and size?

I'm not saying that you have to or even should get a 7,200, but what are going to use the computer for? Are you going to edit lots of media and encode videos and blah blah, or are you just going to check email and play games? If it's the former, then an SSD is the right choice, if it's the latter and you're looking to save money, then the 7,200 is the right choice.

Phenom II X4 955 released tomorrow.

Just wait and see how it performs. If it's the same as 920, get AMD.

That's true. The OCC review will be up tonight. Check it out when it's posted, but that $210 i7 I posted can hardly be beat.