New rig, looking to save a little $

a.du.fink

I'm not saying that you have to or even should get a 7,200, but what are going to use the computer for? Are you going to edit lots of media and encode videos and blah blah, or are you just going to check email and play games? If it's the former, then an SSD is the right choice, if it's the latter and you're looking to save money, then the 7,200 is the right choice.

That's true. The OCC review will be up tonight. Check it out when it's posted, but that $210 i7 I posted can hardly be beat.

Not alot of media stuff going on for me.

And I've already purchased the i7 from Nuclear.

Edited by a.du.fink

If you're not doing a lot of media, the 7,200 drive should be fine. You can always pick up an SSD later on if you really want the little speed boost.

The setup looks pretty good, but you may want to change out the RAM for OCZ Gold. It'll save you $70 and you won't know the difference. The Dominators have never been cost effective. I'm running OCZ Reapers in my rig now and they run great. Wait for others, but I'm sure they'll say the OCZ Gold is just as good for much less money.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about the OC palm. Maybe I'm just stupid...

Anyways, that's looking like a pretty good build, let us know what the final cost is.

And I'm not sure what you're talking about the OC palm. Maybe I'm just stupid...

The Asus boards Im looking at are the P6T Deluxe V2 and the P6T Deluxe OC Palm, which is based off of the V1 board, but is more spendy due to the OC device that comes with it. I was wondering if I should just use the V2 board.

Ok like DLS said, screw the Dominator RAM, it is overpriced and usually slower than simialr competition. Hard Drive looks good, and so does the mobo, Home Premium is a good choice and the 920 is a good proc. Other than the RAM it looks fairly well balenced now and I would say that you're pretty much set. Last thing I would do is post the best prices you find the parts for and where because I know that a ton of people here have a lot of experince with defferent vendors and know where to look for the best quality for the best price and can probably help you find a few rebates as well. Finally look out for the pre-overclocked graphics cards as they are generally binned to where the low end pre-overclocks are near their max when the standard cards can be pushed higher, I got screwed by that same deal from BFG off of NewEgg with my GTX 280 where I got the OC edition and it was already pretty much maxxed, even the bad standard cards that OCC was reviewing were getting way bigger overclocks. Just be aware when you buy, it is very easy to overclock a videocard yourself.

Finally look out for the pre-overclocked graphics cards as they are generally binned to where the low end pre-overclocks are near their max when the standard cards can be pushed higher, I got screwed by that same deal from BFG off of NewEgg with my GTX 280 where I got the OC edition and it was already pretty much maxxed, even the bad standard cards that OCC was reviewing were getting way bigger overclocks. Just be aware when you buy, it is very easy to overclock a videocard yourself.

This can be true, but the pre-overclocked card he said was cheaper. Plus, it'll save time and headaches trying to overclock yourself. But that is a very true point to keep in mind if you're looking for the highest overclock for a bench run or something.

Well thought out so far. But if you want to save some money and dont need the bells and whistles the P6T does just as well in most cases as its well optioned cousin the OC palm edition. You need to change the tim on the chipset and have a fan on the chipset to really push them both but it will definitely save you some coin. I have both and really can see no difference in their capabilities so far with 3 different chips. One of my 920s is Prime stable under water at 4.1GHz on the P6t.