An end to all consoles and graphic cards

Warby35

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Presentation makes it look pretty slick (naturally).

Wonder what I have to do to get invited to the open beta in the summer, as I'd like to try it out first hand.

edit - bah, beta is US only :(

Edited by jammin

Matter of fact, I just signed up for it. Here's the link http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html

Current games supported so far.. http://www.onlive.com/service/hot_new_games.html

I believe they are all PC versions of the game, because they were able to join together in the same server on the TV miniconsole using a controller and another on a laptop. Still can't use a gamepad or keyboard/mouse on a game that doesn't support it though.

Price structure:

Monthly Subscription (maybe packages)

Purchase/Rent Games (hopefully much much cheaper than retail stores and online sites)

Edited by Krazyxazn

It will be interesting to see if this works.

There's still a lot of un answered questions I have about this system.

I'm not really for this type of a system because you have to pay a monthly fee to use it plus the fact that this could replace gaming consoles and computers all together as well.

I could see other companies like Microsoft implementing a system like this were all you do is buy a small receiver type of a device (like the ONLive one) which hocks up to your internet connection and has ports for a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers and the operating system and all your applications are run on some server and the video and audio is broadcasted over the internet similar to a device similar like the ONLive one and thus eliminating the need for PCs.

Presentation makes it look pretty slick (naturally).

yeah, because the servers were probably located in the basement, and they were the only ones utilizing them. Let's wait to see what happens when you have hundreds to thousands of people trying to play games, sometimes from servers thousands of miles away.

yeah, because the servers were probably located in the basement, and they were the only ones utilizing them. Let's wait to see what happens when you have hundreds to thousands of people trying to play games, sometimes from servers thousands of miles away.

In the questions after the presentation, they said 50 miles, which is still pretty close isn't it.

They reckon it works acceptably within 1000 miles if I recall correctly (though that seems ambitious to me).

Obviously the beta is US only for this reason.

I guess we'll find out if it really works when the open beta testers get some time with it.

I dont really like the idea of " cloud gaming". I think I'll stick with my pc, if they make a disc owners insurance network incase my hollywood undead cd and my cod4 dvd break or get lost then I'll start praising them.

but I dont buy games off steam or music off itunes for a reason. The very same reason I dont care for the "cloud".

Eliminating physical distribution for products that don't actually require it has more up sides than down in my opinion. You cut out the overheads required for the distribution network, the energy spent producing the cases, paper and discs themselves, as well as the energy and money that goes into storing the physical products or stocking them in stores.

Yeah, I'm fighting a losing battle... and I know it :P I have to admit that on the whole it does make sense. Digital distribution has the potential to revolutionize the industry if it catches on big.

I'm all with you Jammin, I really hope this works out the way they planned. I'm all for digital distribution. No reason for me to drive 5-10 minutes out of my way to see if a game as released or in stock in stores because of a release date that either means on that day or the day after or a few days after.

Hopefully Obama can keep his promise and improve our connections speeds and spread it through areas that don't have access. Some of the top tech countries are already making available to everyone gigabit connections and 10 mbps on wireless by 2010. Plus they are way cheaper there than in the US. The US is far behind.

Edited by Krazyxazn