Top RTS's of All-Time

ClayMeow

Fine, I'll count the Black & White series as RTS since there are strategy elements in it.

Truthfully, I wondered about it myself before putting it on my list. Ultimately though, I think it fits best there. I played it for the city building, but there is the whole other element of crushing your opponents with military force. I don't really think it'd fit well in a city-building list just because it's not really the same free-form feeling when the enemy shows up at your gate with their monster :) That sort of snaps you back into RTS-mode :P

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truthfully, I wondered about it myself before putting it on my list. Ultimately though, I think it fits best there. I played it for the city building, but there is the whole other element of crushing your opponents with military force. I don't really think it'd fit well in a city-building list just because it's not really the same free-form feeling when the enemy shows up at your gate with their monster :) That sort of snaps you back into RTS-mode :P
:lol:

Here are my personal rankings:

1. Starcraft

2. Rise of Legends

3. Company of Heroes

4. Age of Empires

5. Battle for Middle Earth II

Rankings finally added...sorry for the delay.

Defining my top 5 RTS titles is not as easy as one would assume it to be, Warcraft I/II got me hooked on this style of gaming initially BUT it was Dark Reign I & II that kept me interested until I found Starcraft and more recently Warcraft III which has my kids addicted too! :P

I'll give it a go regardless...

#1 Warcraft III

#2 Starcraft

#3 Battle For Middle Earth II

#4 (Activision's) Dark Reign

#5 (Activision's) Dark Reign II

Edited by tazwegion

Defining my top 5 RTS titles is not as easy as one would assume it to be, Warcraft I/II got me hooked on this style of gaming initially BUT it was Dark Reign I & II that kept me interested until I found Starcraft and more recently Warcraft III which has my kids addicted too! :P

I'll give it a go regardless...

#1 Warcraft III

#2 Starcraft

#3 (Activision's) Dark Reign

#4 (Activision's) Dark Reign II

#5 Warcraft II

OMG!

I totally forgot out Dark Reign!

Gonna edit my post. That game was/is legendary!

Rankings updated :)

Warcraft III climbs into the #3 spot, jumping over CoH and AoE.

I find that funny that Warcraft III is ranked higher then Warcraft II for me WCII was a huge leap in RTS games, it brought so many different aspects then its predecessors. WCIII was pretty good it did bring the hero class to view and being able to manage an army and that hero at the same time provided a new challenge, hehe so I think its kinda a Tie for them both if ya ask me...

I find that funny that Warcraft III is ranked higher then Warcraft II for me WCII was a huge leap in RTS games, it brought so many different aspects then its predecessors. WCIII was pretty good it did bring the hero class to view and being able to manage an army and that hero at the same time provided a new challenge, hehe so I think its kinda a Tie for them both if ya ask me...

I think part of it is memory as well. I didn't choose either in my top five, but if I were to rank WCIII vs. WCII, I'd probably choose WCIII as well simply because I haven't played WCII in 10+ years, so I don't really remember much of it. I know I enjoyed it, but like you said, WCIII brought us the heroes, not to mention DotA (though I never personally played that).

Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts are the same game. Its a standalone expansion, but is still just an expansion, so it should be just one game in the list. Also, arent all the Total War series games considered to be turn based? I know the battles are real time, but the rest of the game is all turn based.

1- Company of Heroes

2- Rome: Total War

3- C&C: Red Alert

4- Starcraft

5- Warcraft III

6- Age of Empires II (if RTW doesnt fly)

Edited by ebarone