which would be a better setup...

I would definitely get this OCZ StealthXStream 500W over the Rosewill supply. I don't think very highly of Rosewill supplies.

As for the $13 PSU... Cheap PSUs may not have overvoltage protection which means if they go they're probably going to take other parts with them. A cheap PSU is also going to have less stable voltages (more ripple). Also, cheap-o power supplies usually can't put out as much wattage as they say they can. They're usually rated under absolute perfectly ideal conditions and consequently can't really do what they say they can in real world usage. Higher quality supplies are often rated using real world scenarios, not ideal ones.

You don't have to buy super super top end, but buying cheap-o is a very bad idea. There's plenty of threads here by people who did it and ended up paying the price. Multiple pieces of a $2000 rig fried just to save $40 on a PSU? Not worth it if you ask me.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 2 cheaper PSU's blow up (both came with the case)...an Aspire (Apevia) and an Ultra. One took components with it in a shower of sparks...the other we caught the burning smell and ripped out the power before it did anything.

Don't cheap out. Seriously.

Thanks for the replies.

I am going back to the Intel Q8200 because Newegg upped the price of the AMD combo deal by $25. I hope I am happy with the Q8200, Gigabyte P41, PI Black RAM, Roswell PSU, Antex 300 case

still be a pretty fast machine??? (I am feeling insecure).

but the Q8200 sucks lol, you'd have a much better computer with the 940

I doubt you can overclock it high enough to cover up it's lack of cache on that chipset, though I could be mistaken, I just have never heard of people running G41's for overclocking

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Phenom II 940 blows the Q8200 out of the water...it is Definitely worth the extra $$$, and will last longer then the Q8200, plus you can OC to 3.6GHz stock voltage with the P2

So does an I7 PC but for what the OP does his new hardware will be more than adequate.

but the Q8200 is a horrible value, even an x3 720 would be a better buy with one less core (hint hint)

Instead of saying what a ripoff it is, perhap you doubters might consider coffering me an alternative, pleas? I am not sold on Intel or anyhting, in fact I was going to get the x4, but Newegg pulled the rug out from under me.

So, How about a CPU and board with better performance than the Q8200 and G43 and for the same or less price?. The final result must perform better than the Q8200 when doing things like multi-tasking and video conversion, photo editing,etc. I don't care if it's balls-slow at games. It must have video on-board, or inclulde a video card (I DO NOT game)

thanks

Instead of saying what a ripoff it is, perhap you doubters might consider coffering me an alternative, pleas? I am not sold on Intel or anyhting, in fact I was going to get the x4, but Newegg pulled the rug out from under me.

So, How about a CPU and board with better performance than the Q8200 and G43 and for the same or less price?. The final result must perform better than the Q8200 when doing things like multi-tasking and video conversion, photo editing,etc. I don't care if it's balls-slow at games. It must have video on-board, or inclulde a video card (I DO NOT game)

thanks

that's why I said to check out the x3 720 lol, get it with the biostar 790GX thats $109.99 (and has integrated graphics)

that's why I said to check out the x3 720 lol, get it with the biostar 790GX thats $109.99 (and has integrated graphics)

That's $10 more than my package...and I had a real bad experience with a Biostar board once, so I tend to stay away from them.

what about the other stuff? Benchmarks seem to show only marginal differences, from what I've read (in the last 1/2 hour)

how about with this Gigabyte MA790GP?

would the AMD chip and hte gigabyte Mobo be better/faster than the 8200?

Edited by loser12