which would be a better setup...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first choice would be more powerful.

What kind of photoshop do you do?

If it is just I take a picture and put it in photoshop then I'd go with the cheaper choice.

If it is intense hobbyist/professional work then yeah get the more expensive.

Edited by tacohunter52

The first choice would be more powerful.

What kind of photoshop do you do?

If it is just I take a picture and put it in photoshop then I'd go with the cheaper choice.

If it is intense hobbyist/professional work then yeah get the more expensive.

It's more semi-professional...much more than red-eye reduction. I also do a lot of RAR processing and I usually have lots of windows open (Photoshop, Firefox (+tabs), Illustrator, email, etc).

It's only about a $30 difference, so would I notice much speed difference with the AMD?

Edited by loser12

It's more semi-professional...much more than red-eye reduction. I also do a lot of RAR processing and I usually have lots of windows open (Photoshop, Firefox (+tabs), Illustrator, email, etc).

It's only about a $30 difference, so would I notice much speed difference with the AMD?

the AMD would be much better for the money than the Q8200, if you want to save money on an intel quad, get a Q6600 because they have decent cache levels. But otherwise get the 940 since it's cheaper and better lol

the AMD would be much better for the money than the Q8200, if you want to save money on an intel quad, get a Q6600 because they have decent cache levels. But otherwise get the 940 since it's cheaper and better lol

Thanks for you replies.

|The Q6600 seems to be more expensive. If I will see a big difference, then I think I will go with the AMD.

Can you recommend some RAM?

Can you recommend some RAM?

For the AMD? The cheapest set of DDR2-800 with 4-4-4-12 timings you can find. That chip has a very low FSB, so high ram speeds really won't matter.

Okay, final build:

AMD Phenom II X4 940

cheap PSU

PI black 4gb

I orginally didn't need the case and PSU, but I decided to just start fresh with both. i know it's a cheap PSU, but I can get a better one later. I will pick up a case at our local Fry's. i have the other stuff

Running XP Pro, 32 bit.

Any last thoughts?

Edited by loser12

AMD has no FSB, lol. Just messin w/ you Verran

<_< ... :lol: ... Yeah, yeah, "HTT" :P

:O NO. A $12 PSU?! Why even waste your money? No way I'd ever run my system on something like that!

I have the DDR2-900 G.Skill Pi set and I'm VERY happy with it. Good pick. :thumbs-up:

I knew I'd get flamed for the PSU :rolleyes: I'll get the Roswell.

What's wrong with the cheap one? I have had PSU's go out, but I have had cheap ones that last and last and last.

Roswill is kind of a hit and miss brand. You may get a decent PSU and you may get a crappy one, but I'd still prefer them over a $12 generic one.

Cheap PSU's use crappier componants that are more likely to fail. Many times they'll take some other piece of hardware to the grave as well.

Cheap PSU's can't actually push the power they are rated at.

Cheap PSU's sometimes have no way of cooling themselves and will overheat.

These are just a few reasons there are many more.

Edited by tacohunter52